• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do, to make them change my host family’s?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

giulia_de

I’m an exchange student from Germany and I live in Kansas for this year. The grandpa from my host mom died when I was here for about 2 and a half weeks. Since then my host mom stays at her grandmas from Friday to Monday. I feel uncomfortable with this situation and would like to change host family’s. This situation also causes me mental sickness because someone in my family died also this year. This all makes me homesick and so uncomfortable. I have sleeping problems and don’t eat good. My host family thinks it’s because I don’t like the food but that’s not the truth. I also had 3 panic attacks since I am here. And I didn’t had them back in Germany. I talked to my local coordinator but she doesn’t understand me at all and she is rude to me and doesn’t care about her exchange students. I talked to my German organization and they said a change would be fine, so they talked with my organization here. And they understand why I want a change and said it’s a possibility. But now I have to have a talk with my local coordinator, who treats me disrespectful, and with my mom together, who I already talked to and she understood me but now she is kind off mad at me. And my local coordinator needs to report anything but I have the feeling she will only lie like she did before. So I don’t think I will be able to change family’s but then I would have to go home because this is about my health.
Any ideas?
If you are confused about anything please just ask. As I said I’m an exchange student and 16 years old so my English isn’t the best. I also didn’t know to which topic this counts.

quincy

I’m an exchange student from Germany and I live in Kansas for this year. The grandpa from my host mom died when I was here for about 2 and a half weeks. Since then my host mom stays at her grandmas from Friday to Monday. I feel uncomfortable with this situation and would like to change host family’s. This situation also causes me mental sickness because someone in my family died also this year. This all makes me homesick and so uncomfortable. I have sleeping problems and don’t eat good. My host family thinks it’s because I don’t like the food but that’s not the truth. I also had 3 panic attacks since I am here. And I didn’t had them back in Germany. I talked to my local coordinator but she doesn’t understand me at all and she is rude to me and doesn’t care about her exchange students. I talked to my German organization and they said a change would be fine, so they talked with my organization here. And they understand why I want a change and said it’s a possibility. But now I have to have a talk with my local coordinator, who treats me disrespectful, and with my mom together, who I already talked to and she understood me but now she is kind off mad at me. And my local coordinator needs to report anything but I have the feeling she will only lie like she did before. So I don’t think I will be able to change family’s but then I would have to go home because this is about my health.
Any ideas?
If you are confused about anything please just ask. As I said I’m an exchange student and 16 years old so my English isn’t the best. I also didn’t know to which topic this counts.
Your recourse is through the exchange program.

quincy

I’m sorry, but that means what exactly?
If you are uncomfortable with your current host family, you must look to change your host family by going through the organization that housed you with the family.

This is not a legal issue, in other words. It is a problem that must be resolved through the group or groups that brought you to the U.S. to live and study.

giulia_de

If you are uncomfortable with your current host family, you must look to change your host family by going through the organization that housed you with the family.

This is not a legal issue, in other words. It is a problem that must be resolved through the group or groups that brought you to the U.S. to live and study.
Yeah I know that. But the thing is that they won’t do anything, just keep talking but don’t do any action. Anyway thanks for your explanation.

quincy

Yeah I know that. But the thing is that they won’t do anything, just keep talking but don’t do any action. Anyway thanks for your explanation.
I am sorry the people you have spoken to in the organizations have not responded appropriately to your needs . I would continue to contact them until you reach someone who will help you.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are looking for the law you can invoke that will force the organization to change your host family, there isn't one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">