• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do to protect my child's interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarrSpencer

What is the name of your state? GA Deceased: SC
My Ex Husband, Father of my 10 yr old daughter died in August, 2005. He went through a very nasty divorce with his last wife. It was final in June. In July he got the papers to change the beneficiaries of his insurance with the school board. The papers were found on his desk but not filled out because he died so soon after. All the policies equal over 250,000 dollars. The Ex Stepmother received the monies in November and will not answer questions about her intentions, now. Before she received it she told many people she was going to pay bills and give the rest to his 2 children.She has told me on the phone and in Emails she would do what was right. There is more twist and turns to this but there is not enough space here to write it. What if anything can I do to be sure my Daughter gets at least a portion of this money for her future? I don't want it in a trust that the Ex is solely in charge of, I'd rather have a 3rd party, lawyer or court appointed guardian over seeing my child's interest- if she even does anything for her.
What can I do?

StarrSpencer

Burial Benefit portion of Insurance policies

It me again - GA Deceased was in SC
I also wanted to know, there was a seperate Burial Benefit policy about 8000.00 that he had. This also had not been changed. The deceased Sister paid for all cremation and burial arrangements doesn't she have a right to re coup her expenses?

T

TruckingMadDIE!

In response to your first topic, there's nothing you or your children can do. The money is not theirs. The money immediately belonged to his mother, and "sidestepped" Probate.

The same thing for your second topic. The sister paid for the expenses on a voluntary basis. No one forced her, and no one is responsible, legally, to reimburse her.

Your ex-husband really screwed up - - probably in more ways than this.

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The truck man is messed up

TruckingMadDIE! said:
In response to your first topic, there's nothing you or your children can do. The money is not theirs. The money immediately belonged to his mother, and "sidestepped" Probate.

The same thing for your second topic. The sister paid for the expenses on a voluntary basis. No one forced her, and no one is responsible, legally, to reimburse her.

Your ex-husband really screwed up - - probably in more ways than this.
IAAL
It's funny that a person who can't comprehend the original post would try to throw such insults around.
There is no Mother-in-law involved. However, the father's most recent ex-wife, who is the beneficiary of the policies, now owns the money. Hopefully, she'll do the morally correct thing, but she is under no legal obligation to give anyone else the money she received from the life ins. policies.

Last edited by a moderator:

StarrSpencer

Thank you Zigner, For yout intelligent...

Zigner - Thank you for comprehending the subject matter and for your inteligent response! I was afraid this was the case.

To the "Trucker"...well, you showed your intelligence and should not even post on a serious site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">