• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

• Thread starter Workeroftheyear
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Workeroftheyear

What is the name of your state? California

I was working at an internet cafe by being a network administrator, and one day I was reformatting computers, and I noticed that there weren't any Microsoft Windows Lisences for their computers. I asked my boss (the owner) where the lisences were and he told me that they were bootleg (not lisenced). Then the nextday the manager came in with a burned cd, told me that it was a copy of his other work's operating system of another computer. He told me to use that to put on the computers. I told him that I wouldn't do it, because he's telling me to do something illegal, so he took me outside and verbally abused me. A few weeks later I noticed that a few of the manager's friends were illegal aliens. I told the owner about this, but he didn't care and told me to keep my mouth shut. Then after awhile I noticed that the boss was taking social security, taxes, and workers comp out of our checks, but didn't ask us for our social security numbers. He also wouldn't give people their W2 forms when they requested it, telling them that they didn't need it, or ignored them. About 8 months later he finally requested people's social security numbers. Later on I noticed that he didn't have a business lisence, and wasn't paying taxes. I brought it to his attention, and he told me to keep my mouth shut. Then a few weeks later I went into have foot surgery, and the following day the manager called me telling me that a computer was stolen, and accused me of it (hahaha funny, because I had foot surgery the previous day). Then a couple weeks later when I healed, I went into work and talk to my boss, and he fired me for stealing.
Do I have a case?:confused:

W

Workeroftheyear

More Information

When I talked to him about buying some new equitment, he also told me that he didn't care if it was hot as long as he didn't get caught. I told him that was wrong, and he barked my head off.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are so many things wrong in your story, I'm having a hard time believing it's for real and not a prank post. That's not an accusation, just a commentary. Assuming that you're on the up and up, go to a lawyer. Go directly to a lawyer. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I only know of four states where making internal complaints of illegal activity is protected under "whistleblower" statutes, and California is not one of them. Usually, you have to have made a complaint to an outside agency before you are protected. However, I don't know for certain that California DOESN'T have such a law- just that I've only confirmed such protection in four, all Northeast, states. If you do have protection under state whistleblower statutes, a lawyer will be able to get you under them. In addition, the accusation of stealing is serious, and you should ask for legal assistance on that in case the boss decides to protect himself further by pursing the issue. Not that you wouldn't be able to disprove the theft (foot surgery is a pretty good alibi) but you don't want him to even start down that road.

W

Workeroftheyear

Advice

This is all true that I posted. Should I Call the State Board of Equalization, Microsoft, IRS, and INS, or should I talk to a layor about this first? Is there anything I can get out of this to call these people, or am I required by law to do so?

W

Workeroftheyear

Correct Spelling

This is all true that I posted. Should I Call the State Board of Equalization, Microsoft, IRS, and INS, or should I talk to a lawyor* about this first? Is there anything I can get out of this to call these people, or am I required by law to do so?

HomeGuru

Re: Correct Spelling

Workeroftheyear said:
This is all true that I posted. Should I Call the State Board of Equalization, Microsoft, IRS, and INS, or should I talk to a lawyor* about this first? Is there anything I can get out of this to call these people, or am I required by law to do so?
**A: try again. The correct spelling is lawyer.

Beth3

I'm wondering how the poster happened to "notice" that the employer doesn't have a business license and isn't paying taxes. That's not info a network administrator would stumble across. :confused:

HomeGuru

That's why. It is obvious that we have not been told the complete and accurate story. There are more details and skeletons.
And just how does one notice that a manager's friends are illegal aliens? Would it be the way that the aliens dress, smell, act..............

Last edited:
W

Workeroftheyear

Crap

I know that they are aliens, because one of them is from China, and told me that he only has a student visa, and the other one is from china too, but is a canadian citizen. That person also has a student visa. I know that they don't pay taxes, because I know for a fact that they don't have a business lisence. Anything that they can't get away with, they try to do it. I mean come on, they built a wall in the cafe without a permit. Also, the manager takes money from the register a few times a day, to make it look like they are earn that much money.

HomeGuru

Re: Crap

Workeroftheyear said:
I know that they are aliens, because one of them is from China, and told me that he only has a student visa, and the other one is from china too, but is a canadian citizen. That person also has a student visa. I know that they don't pay taxes, because I know for a fact that they don't have a business lisence. Anything that they can't get away with, they try to do it. I mean come on, they built a wall in the cafe without a permit. Also, the manager takes money from the register a few times a day, to make it look like they are earn that much money.
**A: so why don't you move on and find anotiher job?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do, of course, realize that certain visas which could be considered "student visas" do permit some forms of employment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">