• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? IL

My ex-husband and I are not yet divorced .. we have not lived together in 2 years though ... we are currently going through support hearings at the moment ... now my question

He just informed me that he has already claimed our two children on his taxes .. they have not lived with him all year .. nor has he had to pay child support all year since I hadn't went for it yet ... I let him claim them last year ... but never signed anything for him to do so ... now this year he claimed them without my permission .. after he has done absolutely nothing for them .. I can't afford a delay on my taxes so I have filed without claiming them for right now ... but isn't' that tax fraud or anything?? What can I do about this???



Senior Member
Once you get your refund, file an amended return, claiming them. Include a statement that they were claimed illegally by your Ex.

Also include documentation proving that they lived with you. It may take a while, but the IRS will eventually send you the money due you.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential