• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msccur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I pay $550 a month in child support. My bring home a month is between $2500 and 2800. I support 6 people including myself. I have two children and two step-children in my home. My wife receives $50 a month in child support for her two. We live pay check to pay check and it is getting pretty tough.

I went to lower it and they raised it! How come any other governmental things go by everyone in your household. Which we do not qualify for anything. But Domestics only go by me and my 2 children.

Why doesn't my wife have a job? She is going to college and we do not have the money to pay a babysitter for her to get a job. So what are my options? Would an attorney help to lower my child support?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I pay $550 a month in child support. My bring home a month is between $2500 and 2800. I support 6 people including myself. I have two children and two step-children in my home. My wife receives $50 a month in child support for her two. We live pay check to pay check and it is getting pretty tough.

I went to lower it and they raised it! How come any other governmental things go by everyone in your household. Which we do not qualify for anything. But Domestics only go by me and my 2 children.

Why doesn't my wife have a job? She is going to college and we do not have the money to pay a babysitter for her to get a job. So what are my options? Would an attorney help to lower my child support?
No, an attorney would not help.

You need to read up on what PA (or whatever state issued your CS order) guidelines for CS. For one thing, you are not responsible to support stepchildren: their support is on their parents, not you.

msccur

Ok, I know that it is not my responsiblility to support my step children soley. So how do we go about making there father pay more. My wife has already gone to Domestics. He is on SSD because of bi polar but, he works a couple of jobs under the table and Domestics says that there is nothing they can do because there is no prove. Whether there are pictures or whatever he could just owe a buddy a favor so he is working it off!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Ok, I know that it is not my responsiblility to support my step children soley. So how do we go about making there father pay more. My wife has already gone to Domestics. He is on SSD because of bi polar but, he works a couple of jobs under the table and Domestics says that there is nothing they can do because there is no prove. Whether there are pictures or whatever he could just owe a buddy a favor so he is working it off!
IF your wife's Ex is on SSDI, their children are eligible for benefits based on what he's getting from SSDI. IF wife's Ex is on SSI, there are no benefits for dependent children.

Sounds like wife needs to quit college for a while and get a job to help support her family. :rolleyes:

Silverplum

"We" can't do anything. Your children are your business, and her children are her business.

If she's been turned down for an increase, then she can wait till the next opportunity to file for an increase. Each state has their own rules; usually it's at least 1 year, often it's 3 years.

msccur

No, my wife does not need to quit college she is almost done. If she gets a job its not going to help support our family because there are f 4 children, to put these children in a day care it will cost $28 a day per child. She contributes by babysitting and she does make about $120 a week doing that.

msccur

The children don't qualify to receive anything from social security because he doesn't have enough working credits.

Silverplum

We aren't a financial planning service.

No, my wife does not need to quit college she is almost done. If she gets a job its not going to help support our family because there are f 4 children, to put these children in a day care it will cost $28 a day per child. She contributes by babysitting and she does make about $120 a week doing that.

LdiJ

In the eyes of the law, its not your responsibility to support your stepchildren at all. Its the responsibility of their mother and father. Its great that your wife is going to school, and that you are willing to forego a being a two income family, however, that doesn't mean that your first child has to sacrifice for that as well.

Your wife maybe needs to cut back on the number of classes she takes, so that she can work part time to supplement your family income.

msccur

I really do understand what all of you are saying and here is a website that I found 231 Pa. Code Rule 1910.16-1. Amount of Support. Support Guidelines.. But how come they won't do anything to a father who uses systems so that he only has to pay like $50 or whatever and then there is me who pays $550. Domestics even stated "on average the cost to raise a child is $600 a month". I just think that it is ridiculous that there are fathers who pay nearly nothing to there children and some who pay all.

nextwife

Wife SHOULD have finished college FIRST, then proceeded to coninue making babies, if she did not feel she had sufficient ability to make a significant contribution toward supporting the kids she'd been creating. Not to mention supporting herself.

msccur

Excuss me my wife has been in college for the past 6 years. Just because people make mistakes when they are younger does not make them less of a person. At least she is trying to make something of herself and we do not live like some of these people out here who don't care and live off of welfare!! She does contribute to this family she works harder than I do.. She might not make the money I do but she works from home, she goes to school, and she keeps up with the house and our 4 children. :mad:

Last edited:

msccur

And I am not on here asking for help for my wife, I am asking child support quesitons not anything else. If I wanted your opinions on schooling, or jobs I would have asked. Its low life mothers and fathers who don't do ANYTHING, meaning school, or no jobs, or working under the table so they can take advantage of the good parents out there that make it hard for young parents like us.

FrustratedInFL4

Have you looked into seeing a lawyer who doesn't charge a consult fee? They may be able to give a realistic answer to your question and give you the tools you need to pursue lower support or even turn you on to other benefits the step children could be eligible for. Just a thought. Hang in there!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">