• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can we do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

@witzend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.
We've recently moved to a small town in N.C. Our first water/sewer bill claimed we used 17, 000 gallons of water in the month of December. Since then it's been normal, at an average of 6100 gallons. We disputed the bill and were told there was nothing they can do. I cannot afford to pay the $300 they are asking for. We are current on the bill aside from that. Our water has been now shut off 4 times in 2 weeks due to this bill and we must pay him in full to turn it back on. The manager of the water is also the mayor. There is no governing body to hear our complaint (not that we can find) What do I do? Also the water has been cut off each time with no notice or warning. He waits for us to leave to cut it off. We have 5 children & a newborn. PLEASE HELP.!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Realistically, your best short-term option is to pay the bill. From there you can explore your options for having the amount refunded.

Dave1952

Call the switchboard for your County and see if anyone there can help. A County Commissioner may be interested in your situation.

single317dad

Good luck, OP. When I first moved into my new construction home, the first water bill for 17 days was well over $500. After that, the bill (and claimed usage) diminished slowly to a normal amount over the next 8 months. Several of my neighbors, mostly to the left and right of me on my street, had similar (but not quite so large) bills.

The town utility claimed the usage was from watering the new sod. The problem with that argument was that of the first 17-day bill, the sod was laid on the 12th day and it rained steadily for the remaining five.

We went to town meetings. We had two different news stations do an "investigative report". We were on TV and radio. We (collectively) hired a lawyer to make our arguments at two utility board meetings. We had the city of Indianapolis change out all of our meters and test them (water is supplied through Indpls. system to many suburbs).

Resolution: I paid the bills to avoid a lien on my property. The town won, I lost, the end. Total cost to me in one year was over $4000, of which around $1000 was legitimate water/sewage usage.

Oh, and since my bills were so high, I didn't water my sod, it died, and the homeowner's association demanded I re-sod the property or face a lawsuit.

Don't get your hopes up.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.
We've recently moved to a small town in N.C. Our first water/sewer bill claimed we used 17, 000 gallons of water in the month of December. Since then it's been normal, at an average of 6100 gallons. We disputed the bill and were told there was nothing they can do. I cannot afford to pay the $300 they are asking for. We are current on the bill aside from that. Our water has been now shut off 4 times in 2 weeks due to this bill and we must pay him in full to turn it back on. The manager of the water is also the mayor. There is no governing body to hear our complaint (not that we can find) What do I do? Also the water has been cut off each time with no notice or warning. He waits for us to leave to cut it off. We have 5 children & a newborn. PLEASE HELP.!!!
I do agree that your situation is odd...because the bills/usage have been normal since then. I would guess that you are being stuck with a previous resident's or owner's final bill. However I do agree with the previous advice to pay the bill and then go after a refund.

@witzend

Realistically, your best short-term option is to pay the bill. From there you can explore your options for having the amount refunded.
Thsnk you for your reply but right now that's not sn option for us. If I could I would than try to get reimbursement. Again ty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">