• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What causes child support to stop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.




I currently pay support of 325 to my ex. I am remarried and have 2 kids.

My ex just got remarried to a man who makes good money, which is a lot more than me.

Do I still pay child support or is this the new husbands responsiblitity?

If I still pay, where is the line drawn for income. Example.
If they make 150k per year and my wife and I make 30k is it right that my new family suffers and they get even more by me still paying them what I can not afford and they do not need?

I was happy to pay what I could but this is starting to get crazy. My kids that I have with my new wife deserve the same treatment as my other kids.



If you allowed the new husband to adopt your children, then and only then would they be his responsibility.
You are responsible for your children.


our judicial system bites

When was the last time you went in for a child support evaluation? If it has been a while and you have new kids, that will be a determining factor, but not a big one.
You also need to remember if he is making 150k then he can afford a great attorney, so be prepaired for a fight.
Talk to a lawyer and weigh you options before you jump into anything big. No it's not fair at all, but it's our judicial system.


No, his new children will not be a determining factor.


Senior Member
the income of the new husband should not be a factor either.

CS uses the income of the bio parents to determine the set amount - not the step parents.

you are responsible for support until the children reach the age of 18. if the stepdad adopts them - then you would be released. if the biomom is agreeable to a reduced amount and the order is modified- it could be reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential