• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what constitute an invalid moving violations summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bronxdriver

What is the name of your state? New York

I read that for parking violations certain mistakes on the summons, such as incorrect body type, will make it invalid. But on the AAA website it said that
minor defects on tickets for moving violations can be "amended at trial."

My question is what constitute a minor defect on a ticket and what is a major one.

This is relevant to me because last week I got 2 summons for moving violations(not stopping at stop tign and making a left turn on right side of the road) and on the summons:

1. They made a mistake on the body type on one of the summons and did not fill out body type on the other.
2. They did not write the vin number of my car on either.
3. They did not ask me to sign the summons

is this enough to make the tickets invalid?

I guess the more general question is what mistakes on a moving violation summons can be amended at trial? Is it defined in the law. Up to the Judge? The prosecutor? The cop?
Would I be able to use the defense that since the cop wrote that my car was a truck and it really was a civic sedan that maybe he saw a different car?
If this is not enough to get the tickets dismissed do you think it is enough to get me a plea bargain to pay the fines without the points? Thats what I worry about the most.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">