• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes criminal stalking in Delaware?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bishop231

Delaware

My wife left her previous job about a month ago. Someone from her previous job is following her truck around (she's a local CDL driver), and has made intimidating statements (of the "I'm going to get you" variety) to both her and her co-worker (helper on the truck).

She called the police, who said that there was no violence committed, so they won't take action.

Reading the applicable Delaware law, I don't see any requirement for violence to have been committed:

"11 Del. C. § 1312. Stalking; class G felony, class F felony, class C felony. (2008)
(a) A person is guilty of stalking when the person knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person and that conduct would cause a reasonable person to:
(1) Fear physical injury to himself or herself or that of another person; or
(2) Suffer other significant mental anguish or distress that may, but does not necessarily, require medical or other professional treatment or counseling."
Should I call the police back and insist they take action, or contact a lawyer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can't force the police to act...but you can try speaking with a supervisor. Not sure why you'd contact a lawyer.

quincy

Delaware

My wife left her previous job about a month ago. Someone from her previous job is following her truck around (she's a local CDL driver), and has made intimidating statements (of the "I'm going to get you" variety) to both her and her co-worker (helper on the truck).

She called the police, who said that there was no violence committed, so they won't take action.

Reading the applicable Delaware law, I don't see any requirement for violence to have been committed:

"11 Del. C. § 1312. Stalking; class G felony, class F felony, class C felony. (2008)
(a) A person is guilty of stalking when the person knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person and that conduct would cause a reasonable person to:

Should I call the police back and insist they take action, or contact a lawyer?
If your wife fears for her safety, she could look into getting a restraining order against the person following her around.

What reason does your wife give for this person having interest in her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">