• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whittibo

What is the name of your state? California

I hope someone can clear this up for me.. I have been looking into purchasing annual tickets from Disneyland. They offer 4 different tickets, the 2 cheapest tickets being "Southern California Passes".. now two years ago, I purchased these same tickets for my family no questions asked. I was told they just CALL them that.. and that anyone can buy them!

now I am looking into this for our annual trip and am being told that no longer can anybody living outside the REQUIRED ZIP CODES purchase these special rate discount passes.. (which are a substantial savings over the one offered to "other people".)

now.. discrimination to me is saying.. "we have this 'thing' here.. but YOU can't have it because YOU aren't of the special group".. how can Disney discriminate against where someone lives? :confused:

I just talked to a manager at the Disneyland resort.. he told me that it wasn't discrimination because it's a SPECIAL PROMOTION and I don't meet the requirements of that special promotional discount...

so is this discrimination? isn't it the same as saying.. "only WHITE people can buy this here CHEAP ticket.. " that ticket should be sold to anyone wanting it.. now we would still have to abide by the limits of the ticket (only 170 pre selected days to use it.. which is by FAR OK with me) but to sell it ONLY to a certain group of people.. just doesn't seem fair!? :(

seems like it would be worth fighting for anyway!!

racer72

Sorry, the location of your residence does not meet the federal or state discrimination guidelines. Different pricing depending on where you live exists throughout the private and public sector. It would be the same as me suing the orange producer in Florida because he sells his oranges cheaper to folks in the south than to me in the north. And a few years ago I had to pay a higher fee at a California state park because I was not a resident of the state.

whittibo

Thank you so much for your reply.. I guess it's no different then the senior discount. they get their coffee cheaper then I do?! I just think it's odd that they can have a listing for a product for sale, and then deny someone to purchase it. you can go right up to their ticket booths, and see it listed there, but they will tell you.. "sorry.. you can't buy that one".. and it's not like oranges that are being shipped different distances.. both customers are standing in the exact same place, going to ride the exact same rides.. only difference is.. a Southern California resident will actually use that pass more then I would.. :confused:

I do appreciate your reply.. I would have looked like a big fool going up to the ticket booth and claiming discrimination then eh?! :eek:

CdwJava

Having lived in So. Cal. for years near some of these theme parks, I can tell you that the reason for the discounts on "local" guests is to try and draw paying customers to the parks during the off season. Tourists don't flock to So. Cal. in the same numbers after Labor Day so you see a lot of these special Southern California deals. Now, many of these packages are ongoing affairs rather than seasonal, but the reason is the same - to keep the repeat customers.

We used to ONLY go when we had the discount rates ... and my kids grew up seeing Disneyland, Sea World, S.D. Zoo & Wild Animal Park, Knotts Berry Farm, etc. several times each year!

Its not discrimination in the legal sense of the word ... its good marketing.

Carl

whittibo

Thanks CdwJava! I guess I understand the theory behind it all. But in my opinion, they really should have sent promotional mailings to everyone in those zip codes instead of advertising the item for sale, and then not selling it to any Joe Smith.. :confused:

I guess it only makes me mad because I want the $99 one. I am going on the off peak times of the year, (wouldn't bother going any other time) and I hate paying for full price anything! guess I'll attempt to buy the $99 one at the gate, if it doesn't work.. I'll bite the bullet and buy the $179 one.. :(

whittibo

I do have friends and family who live down there, and we tried to pursue that direction already, one person was told SURE you can do that.. another was told NO WAY.. that when you went to get your pictures taken, they would check your ID and if you didn't live there, your tickets wouldn't be valid.. :(

I think we'll just take our chances, go knowing that we might have to pay the $179, but hope we can get the ones for $99.. ;)

C

cindybell

carol - PA discrimination question

i have yet to find the button for a new posting?? so this section is basically what i am interested in. i publish a small town business guide & it lists local area small businesses. the price is dirt cheap so all the small businesses can get included & have a chance against the big guys. now i have a big franchise name that wants in & do i have the legal right to say no to them & what reason should i give that would be legal?? in other words can i say this business is allowed in & that business isn't?

CdwJava

Yes, you can choose not to include them for almost whatever reason you wish.

My local Chamber of Commerce publishes a business resource guide, and only Chamber members can get their names in it.

Discrimination is not illegal in all it's forms. Though you need to be careful. It's best to establish criteria and then stick by them. Otherwise you run the risk of being accused of all sorts of things.

Carl

dequeendistress

There is such a thing as legal discrimination. You cannot discriminate against a persons protected class...such as sex, religion, national origin etc.

Simply post a notice somewhere that you retain your right to refuse service. Really I do not think you have to have a "notice" persay-but it helps to have a reference point.

By the way start your own thread next time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At the Federal level it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or age (over 40 only).

At the state level, in PA, in addition to the above it is illegal to discriminate against someone because they have a GED instead of a high school diploma.

It is NOT illegal at either the state or Federal level to "discriminate" based on the size of company. You can easily, and legally, set a limit; say, only companies with 25 or fewer employees, or, only companies whose gross earnings last year were under $100,000.

Most discrimination is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">