• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I call these laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

david_boston

I'm living in Florida, but I am looking up laws from all over the United States, and I use Alaska as an example.

I'm looking up laws in the Compiled Laws of the City and Borough of Juneau, Alaska, and I want to know what to properly call them. Leads to this knowledge would be helpful. For instance, I found a law in Chapter 03.30 "Code Enforcement", Article III "Fines", 03.30.065 "Penal code fine schedule", CBJ 42.20.200 "Panhandling restricted" - Fine $75... So, what do I call that law? Ordinance 42.20.200? Is it called an ordinance at all? Should I expect there to be more to this law somewhere else in the books and this is just the consequence for breaking it?

The link to the online law database that I'm using is here: Official Homepage of the City and Borough of Juneau, Alaska

Thanks a bunch ahead of time for any insight.

- David

garrula lingua

Cities/Counties/Municipalities may have laws governing actions within their judisdictions, as well as the State Codes.

Generally, it's City Codes, County Ordinances, State Codes (Penal, Family, Probate, Civil, etc), and, indeed, there's Federal laws as well ... ummm, and then, there's CC&Rs in an area which may be violated, as well.

Jurisdictions may get creative in their wording (some may say 'Revised Rules', etc), but the essence is that they have the right to enforce/enjoin actions within their specific jurisdiction. This may range from Planning/Permitting under the Building Code to Ordinances declaring some act to be a misdemeanor, although the State doesn't deem it so (in CA, there is no violation under the Penal Code for a mj pipe, but many Municipal Ordinances criminalize such).

I suggest when you speak of a specific violation, cite the governing authority.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">