• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do i do??? extra lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thefullyfocused

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois
When I was 13 my mom was killed. Surviving her was me, my brother, dad and sister. My mother was employed at a government job that may have offered a life insurance policy. I’m not sure if my moms life insurance policy was thru her job or personal. When my mom died insurance money was split some way between the surviving. My father as caretaker of me and my siblings sat us down and explained that the money could be dispersed in one lump sum or put into an interest bearing annuity until each of us reached 18. When I turned 18 I collected rather substantial check. My father immediately had me deposit my check into a joint account that was opened prior to my 18th birthday (I did not know that the account was a joint account). A couple of weeks later I went back to cash a payroll check and check my balance and the teller tells me that all the money that was deposited from the annuity check had been e-transferred to my father’s private account. Not only was that money taken but for some reason I received government checks that needed my signature but I never reaped any benefits. Do I Have a case against my father for the money that was left to me from my mother’s death??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

How much money was taken from you? Approximately what year was it taken? Assuming there is no statute of limitations, you probably DO have a case against your father. You need to hire a business law attorney to get this taken care of. He will need to look into the account signature card or other documentation that your father used to open up the account to see if your name was forged on it or not, and your attorney might even be able to send your father a warning letter advising him to return the money to you or face legal charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">