• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do-Homeowners question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bbmom

What is the name of your state? NJ. My huband and I bought a 15 year old home 12 years ago-Now it's 27 years old. About 4 years ago we noted foundation damage and the shallow end of our pool began to sink. We contacted homeowners who denied our claim after a 15 minute exam, we then contacted our township whose sewer line runs in the area of damage-they denied a problem. We went back and forth with this and utimately dicovered that the sewer line IS the probable cause. We had to hire an attourney to get this far. In the meantime we have not been able to use our family room, back yard and pool for over 3 years due to damages (estimated $150,000) plus we have had to pay for experts, etc to find the cause. Our attourney told us to settle for $80,000 of which they get $33,000. My question is, are we not entitled to compensation for lack of use, isn't it the insurance company's responsibility to fully investigate claims, and why should I settle for so little since it's not enough to effect repairs?

ALawyer

Because presumably your attorney has your best interests in mind and has concluded that the settlement makes sense for you given the facts of the case and your ability to prove them, the likelihood of greater recovery, the costs involved - including those for expert witnesses, the inherent delays and uncertainty of litigation, and the nature and clarity of the applicable laws of your state.

Consult another NJ lawyer if you feel your lawyer has lost interest and just wants out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">