• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NC

I am planning to leave my husband of 6 years. I have two small children (4 & 5) that I am taking with me. He has no idea of my leaving yet. I know that as soon as I do leave I need to file for a emergency temp custody order. My question is do I need to file for a legal seperation as well? Or can I just do one thing at a time. I don't really have the money to attain a lawyer, but I don't want to do things backwards. I haven't spoken to my family since we got married so I would be doing this on my own. I will try to get a loan if need be, but I want to be sure before I go any further.


Senior Member
It will all be done at the same time. Temp custody/visitation, separation, and CS. When you hire an atty, he/she will file this together.


Senior Member
Jaime_515 said:

I wouldn't be able to file for an emergency temp custody order without an attorney?
You can, but it really isn't the wisest thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential