• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SandyT85

So I live in Tennessee and my wife and I are getting a no fault divorce. Suddenly I see she is selling off mutual items that we acquired during the marriage for personal wealth, some of these things I want I just dont have a place for (long story, she abandoned me so I am living with my Dad). I got out papers today stating when the court date was and all that and while reading through I noticed it said we couldn’t sell of anything we procured during the marriage. I told her this and she seemed flippant and then posted something of ours for sale. My question is, is there anything I can do to stop her from doing this, as it goes directly against what the papers say and what we signed?

LdiJ

So I live in Tennessee and my wife and I are getting a no fault divorce. Suddenly I see she is selling off mutual items that we acquired during the marriage for personal wealth, some of these things I want I just dont have a place for (long story, she abandoned me so I am living with my Dad). I got out papers today stating when the court date was and all that and while reading through I noticed it said we couldn’t sell of anything we procured during the marriage. I told her this and she seemed flippant and then posted something of ours for sale. My question is, is there anything I can do to stop her from doing this, as it goes directly against what the papers say and what we signed?
If you were the one who moved out, she did not abandon you. You can ask the judge to order that she give you your fair share of the money she got from selling the items (unless she needed the money to pay bills) or you can ask for other assets. Please understand however its ok to sell assets to cover necessities and living expenses.

SandyT85

I did not move out. She left me in the house, and because she was my only means of support; I was evicted. So I had no choice but to move back in with my father.

She is not covering living expenses though she is doing it to fund recreational activities. She has more than enough money to cover her cost of living expenses.

She paid all of our bills when we were together and had plenty left over, the new place she has moved into has a lower rent and she had since gotten a promotion in her job which included a raise.

She recently went on a trip to a theme park and in December she is planning a big trip to Boston. Some of our mutual friends have even told me she is redecorating her apartment.

I read the paper and it stated none of our assets where to be sold, destroyed, given away, ect. I would understand if she were in dire straights but she is not.

Again I ask is there anything I can do right now to stop her, because she is clearly violating the papers we signed.

LdiJ

I did not move out. She left me in the house, and because she was my only means of support; I was evicted. So I had no choice but to move back in with my father.

She is not covering living expenses though she is doing it to fund recreational activities. She has more than enough money to cover her cost of living expenses.

She paid all of our bills when we were together and had plenty left over, the new place she has moved into has a lower rent and she had since gotten a promotion in her job which included a raise.

She recently went on a trip to a theme park and in December she is planning a big trip to Boston. Some of our mutual friends have even told me she is redecorating her apartment.

I read the paper and it stated none of our assets where to be sold, destroyed, given away, ect. I would understand if she were in dire straights but she is not.

Again I ask is there anything I can do right now to stop her, because she is clearly violating the papers we signed.
If she left you in the home, then how did she take things that you wanted? Did you allow her to move out taking your stuff too? What kinds of things is she selling? What are you considering to be assets?

If by chance the things she is selling could be considered to be her personal property, that would make a difference.

Just Blue

Why don't you work?

SandyT85

It was things we bought during our marriage, and I didn't really allow her to take anything, it was more of a I was away taking care of my aunt and I came back and the house was empty, save for some of the things I brought with me into the relationship.

Things we bought together furniture, household items, things like that. We have a few items we inherited, but I figure even though we got them when we were married they would be considered personal property?

We have animals we bought together and she has discussed selling them, but I don't know if I can stop her from doing that or not. I would like to if I can because one of them is my emotional support animal.

It's all so confusing because up until we actually went and signed the papers everything was very civil, and now it is like she is a completely different person.

SandyT85

Contact your lawyer. If you don't have one, get one.
I would love to, do you know one in the Northwest region of Tennessee who works pro Bono AND doesn't have a problem dealing with same sex couples? Because I would surely love their email adress, as I haven't found one yet.

PayrollHRGuy

You aren't going to find a lawyer to do a divorce pro bono.

This is no longer a friendly divorce either find representation or you are going to be SOL.

At the very least contact a legal aid clinic. There are surely several in the Memphis area.

Just Blue

I would love to, do you know one in the Northwest region of Tennessee who works pro Bono AND doesn't have a problem dealing with same sex couples? Because I would surely love their email adress, as I haven't found one yet.
Why would you think that an attorney would work for free? Would you work for free?

Call your state bar and ask for a referral...

https://www.tba.org/

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It was things we bought during our marriage, and I didn't really allow her to take anything, it was more of a I was away taking care of my aunt and I came back and the house was empty, save for some of the things I brought with me into the relationship.

Things we bought together furniture, household items, things like that. We have a few items we inherited, but I figure even though we got them when we were married they would be considered personal property?

We have animals we bought together and she has discussed selling them, but I don't know if I can stop her from doing that or not. I would like to if I can because one of them is my emotional support animal.

It's all so confusing because up until we actually went and signed the papers everything was very civil, and now it is like she is a completely different person.
You need to file a motion to show cause and ask the court to hold her in contempt.l

SandyT85

You aren't going to find a lawyer to do a divorce pro bono.

This is no longer a friendly divorce either find representation or you are going to be SOL.

At the very least contact a legal aid clinic. There are surely several in the Memphis area.
Thank you for your help I will try that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">