• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do u need to technically claim residency somewhere

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lkeith0628

What is the name of your state?Indiana.

Me and my husband moved in with a married couple (we'll call them don & tammy) and their 3 children on January 25th.dons mom who lives out of state owns the house.we had a rent receipt and we have internet on here in my husband's name.1 day (February 16th) while we was out don or tammy went over into where we rented & took the rent receipt.now they r talking about kicking us out,is there ANYTHING we can do

quincy

What is the name of your state?Indiana.

Me and my husband moved in with a married couple (we'll call them don & tammy) and their 3 children on January 25th.dons mom who lives out of state owns the house.we had a rent receipt and we have internet on here in my husband's name.1 day (February 16th) while we was out don or tammy went over into where we rented & took the rent receipt.now they r talking about kicking us out,is there ANYTHING we can do
Did you sign a lease to rent the house (or rent a room in the house)? Or did Don and Tammy invite you to stay with them for awhile, with no formal agreement made on the terms of your occupancy?

If you have no lease and you have lived with Don and Tammy for less than a month, and Don and Tammy have asked you to move out of Don's mother's house, you should probably prepare yourself to move out or risk being evicted. If you paid to live in the house for one month with one rent payment. Don and Tammy should give you 30 days to move. If you paid each week, a 7 day notice can be given.

What would make you a tenant rather than a guest (absent a lease) is if you pay rent, or if you receive your mail at the house, or if utility bills come to the house in your name, or if you have a bank statement showing the house as your address, or possibly if you have moved in your own furniture ...

Whatever your situation currently is, I recommend you and your husband start looking for a new place to live. Your time sharing a home with Don and Tammy probably will not last much longer.

Your post has nothing to do with commercial insurance lines, by the way. ;)

Last edited:

xylene

It would seem that you have established residency and tenancy by your permitted intent to remain in the space and your control over the space.

Stealing back your receipt will not help Don and Tammy to summarily eject you, though they can (and should) pursue an eviction should you not leave after appropriate notice.

At this point, they have given you notice, though it may be improper. You should be planning on moving. You should take important paper and valuable out of the home, as they have already demonstrated profound disrespect for your space and property.

The best you can do is mitigate - this is not a long term situation you can hold onto.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">