• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do you think would be the charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lisa Nickel

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
My boyfriend got into a fight. The scenario is on the streets, early hours of the a.m., drugs involved. My boyfriend is 38; the other man in his fifties. The other man is known as a drunk/druggie (whatever). My boyfriend ended up hitting the man with a garden tool and split his lip. The paramedics came. The other man refused medical treatment. He and my boyfriend went their separate ways. The man was on blood thinners. He bled to death and was found two days later dead in his home. They are trying to convict my boyfriend with 1st degree murder. He was initially arrested for aggravated assault and was released on a $35,000 bail. This happened on Jan. 29, 2001. His trial is approaching. What is your opinion?:confused: Replies are appreciated!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lisa Nickel said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
My boyfriend got into a fight. The scenario is on the streets, early hours of the a.m., drugs involved. My boyfriend is 38; the other man in his fifties. The other man is known as a drunk/druggie (whatever). My boyfriend ended up hitting the man with a garden tool and split his lip. The paramedics came. The other man refused medical treatment. He and my boyfriend went their separate ways. The man was on blood thinners. He bled to death and was found two days later dead in his home. They are trying to convict my boyfriend with 1st degree murder. He was initially arrested for aggravated assault and was released on a $35,000 bail. This happened on Jan. 29, 2001. His trial is approaching. What is your opinion?:confused: Replies are appreciated!!

My response:

2nd Degree Manslaughter = 25 to Life. Parole opportunity in 20 years.

Time to get a new boyfriend.

IAAL

stephenk

misdemeanor manslaughter. Probation only.

The fact that the guy was on blood thinners and did not seek treatment for two days takes the burden off your lovely boyfriend. Cutting a guy's lip is not the type of injury that a person would expect someone to die from.

A

amc822

But the guy did die as a result of the injury he received. Even if the result was unlikely won't the boyfriend) still be held accountable for the death? I don't know the answer I'm just wondering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">