• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does this mean on my pay stub?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Freetobee

WA- Hello. I have a question or two. Just recently my pay stub showed some kind of garnishment that was never there before. They took out about $150 and it says "GarnStudent." Does that mean it's from a student loan or from something else?

Also if it were to be from a student loan, is there a page where you can easily look up your loan details without paying?

xylene

What happened when you asked your payroll team? What did they say?

WHAT US state are you in?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This isn't a legal question. You need to ask your payroll department if you have questions about payroll deductions.

quincy

WA- Hello. I have a question or two. Just recently my pay stub showed some kind of garnishment that was never there before. They took out about $150 and it says "GarnStudent." Does that mean it's from a student loan or from something else?

Also if it were to be from a student loan, is there a page where you can easily look up your loan details without paying?
You have not been receiving student loan statements?

Did you receive information from your employer on the garnishment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The easiest way to find out would be, as already suggested, to pick up the phone or write an email and ask Payroll.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
WA- .....Also if it were to be from a student loan, is there a page where you can easily look up your loan details without paying?
Since we have NO way of knowing who your student loan creditor is with, there's no way to answer your question. However, it's very likely that your creditor has a website. And just registering for the site to see the details of your account doesn't mean they magically have your bank account info.

Freetobee

I will speak to payroll tomorrow but meanwhile I was really wondering because I got no notice whatsoever about this. How does a garnishment from student loan show up on a pay stub if anyone knows? With the name of creditor?

quincy

I will speak to payroll tomorrow but meanwhile I was really wondering because I got no notice whatsoever about this. How does a garnishment from student loan show up on a pay stub if anyone knows? With the name of creditor?
It depends on the employer. It could be shown as "GarnStudent" or "EduGar" or something similar.

Freetobee

Since we're on the subject I'd also like to ask another question. If the student loan is over two decades old, would there be any chance for it to be forgiven? Especially since the "course" (which had a scammy feeling to it, long story) was never even completed for reason mentioned? What could be done if anything?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Who holds the loan?
My best guess here would be the Department of Education. If it were owed to a private student loan creditor, it would have had to obtain a judgment against the OP in order to garnish wages for the debt. If the employer had been served a garnishment for a judgment, the paystub would likely not have indicated a student loan — it would have just indicated a judgment or court order garnishment.

debora32

Garnishment laws allow the Federal government to take up to 15% of the borrower’s wages and/or up to 100% of IRS tax refunds. Some states allow student loan garnishments up to 25% of a borrower’s wages. In addition, no notice to the debtor is required to garnish tax refunds; nor do the lenders need a court order to begin a student loans wage garnishment; levy bank accounts and/or seize property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">