• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What exactly could I take my childs father back to court for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anniebeezy66

I live in the state of Illinois. A few years ago I was given full custody of our now 4 year old. We have came along way since we first went to court, but managed to co parent pretty well. the thing is.. my daughter literally cannot stand going. It is to the point where I have considered even getting a child psychiatrist involved because she is so uncomfortable around him. It isn't just a tantrum of wanting to stay with mommy, it is full on world war 3 to prepare her to go. I even am to the point where I feel genuinely terrible for her father because she just does not want anything to do with him.
I am to the point now, where I am concerned maybe something is going on at her dads causing her to get this way. Everyone keeps telling me it is just a 4 year old phase that she will grow out of but it seems to be getting worse. I am genuinely scared and am at a lost for what i should do. If I do take him back to court, what would it even be for since we kinda work out are own thing? I know I will be betraying him and I's co parenting friendship but at the end of the day, I need to do what is best for my daughters well being.

PayrollHRGuy

If you walk into court with nothing more than "daughter has a hissy when she goes to dad's house" and your unsubstantiated feelings you will be wasting money along with likely making the judge none too happy with you.

Get the kid in therapy and find out what the issue is before you do anything else.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I live in the state of Illinois. A few years ago I was given full custody of our now 4 year old. We have came along way since we first went to court, but managed to co parent pretty well. the thing is.. my daughter literally cannot stand going. It is to the point where I have considered even getting a child psychiatrist involved because she is so uncomfortable around him. It isn't just a tantrum of wanting to stay with mommy, it is full on world war 3 to prepare her to go. I even am to the point where I feel genuinely terrible for her father because she just does not want anything to do with him.
I am to the point now, where I am concerned maybe something is going on at her dads causing her to get this way. Everyone keeps telling me it is just a 4 year old phase that she will grow out of but it seems to be getting worse. I am genuinely scared and am at a lost for what i should do. If I do take him back to court, what would it even be for since we kinda work out are own thing? I know I will be betraying him and I's co parenting friendship but at the end of the day, I need to do what is best for my daughters well being.
Then why haven't you gotten a psychiatrist involved?

You have 2 possibilities:
1) Everything at Dad's is fine. Then your daughter needs help to determine what the real problem is, but there's no need to go to court.
2) There really is something wrong at Dad's. Then the psychiatrist can, as a mandated reported, report if necessary and testify in court an unbiased 3rd party. Oh, and your daughter needs help.

Either way, your daughter benefits.

*And* if the problem seems to require you going to court, you'd actually have a leg to stand on, legally. (<-- That's how you differentiate yourself from the vague whiners who just don't like their exes.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">