• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What exactly does title insurance insure??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gajw1

What is the name of your state?
New York
I have a problem where three seperate properties 1 condo and 2 garage spaces(in the same condo complex) were bundled up on the same schedule A. The garage spaces were paid for in cash and I have seperate deeds for both. Now at a refinance they are considering all three as one property. My lawyer told me there seems to be a problem with the title company. I will probably loose my rate, application fee, lawyers costs and the 1% I put down because I did not go through with the closing. What is my recourse? Is the title company liable for what I lost, not just for correcting the title? The bank ordered the title and apprisal (which I paid for) but did not see any of these items until the actual time of the closing.

HomeGuru

gajw1 said:
What is the name of your state?
New York
I have a problem where three seperate properties 1 condo and 2 garage spaces(in the same condo complex) were bundled up on the same schedule A. The garage spaces were paid for in cash and I have seperate deeds for both. Now at a refinance they are considering all three as one property. My lawyer told me there seems to be a problem with the title company. I will probably loose my rate, application fee, lawyers costs and the 1% I put down because I did not go through with the closing. What is my recourse? Is the title company liable for what I lost, not just for correcting the title? The bank ordered the title and apprisal (which I paid for) but did not see any of these items until the actual time of the closing.

**A: because you have separate deeds, the 2 garage spaces are legal condo units, therefore there can be a mortgage on each property. Because all three are listed on the legal description as an exhibit on your deed, the mortgage actually secures all 3 condo units.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">