• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What exactly gets put on my record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Worry-wort

I made a very bad decision several months back where my husband asked if I would cross some relatives of his over the border from Tiajuana to CA. Of course, at first, I said no. However, I was persuaded as these were women relatives attempting to join their families over here and they had encountered some very dangerous situations when trying to pass previously. Not understanding the consequences, I agreed. I was caught by the INS in my car and detained. My car was confiscated. The stories of the women didn't match up with mine and there was extensive questioning (they kept changing their stories because they didn't want their families over here to suffer the consequences of them getting caught as their family members also didn't have papers). After about 8 hours I was let go and the women were returned to Mexico.

Please understand that I am very embarassed about this whole incident as I've never had run-ins with the law, much less have had one traffic ticket in my whole life. What I want to know is this: What exactly is put on my record in regards to this? What exactly does an employer see when conducting a background check on me? How serious is something like this on my record? I'm concerned as I'm the bread-winner in my family and currently looking to switch companies.

The only thing I've ever received from the INS is correspondance on my vehicle. In response to this I did send in a notarized letter stating that I had attempted to smuggle my husband's relatives (an INS agent told me over the phone that I needed to state this in order to get the car back.) It's been several months and I haven't heard anything. Did I damn myself with the notarized letter? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I think you all offer a great service.

J

Johnny B. Goode

A person has different "records". Under the facts you give, there will not be a conviction for any charge, unless that comes later. There will be a report showing you as having come in contact with the INS. That is not terribly significant unless you are applying for a security clearance. As to your car, I suspect you gave away the farm. Admitting that you were using it for smuggling gives the INS a blank check to do with it as they wish. You should follow up to see if you can find what became of it, but don't get your hopes up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">