• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what happens if a speeding fine isn't paid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speederneedhelp

What is the name of your state?pennsylvania
I recieved a ticket issued in the state of arizona and i don't wish to pay but would like to know the consequences first. Is my liscence in pa. at risk? I would assume that i just couldn't go to Arizona and drive again. Is this correct? Would a warrant be issued for me and where?

Speeder

speederneedhelp said:
What is the name of your state?pennsylvania
I recieved a ticket issued in the state of arizona and i don't wish to pay but would like to know the consequences first. Is my liscence in pa. at risk? I would assume that i just couldn't go to Arizona and drive again. Is this correct? Would a warrant be issued for me and where?
Most states subscribe to a thing called the "Non-Resident Violator Compact", which means that you get a ticket in one, and fail to respond to requirements, notice is sent to your state of residence. Your state then sends notice that you have a few days to either pay up, resolve the matter with the issuing state, and provide proof of same, or your driver's licence becomes revoked. After that, anywhere you drive, and get stopped, on top of whatever ticket you get then there will be added a "Driving without a license" ticket. Gonna cost you big bucks. You can check whether or not your PA and AZ are part of the compact. Get a lawyer to handle it for you in Arizona. Will be cheaper in the long run.

speederneedhelp

poohmantbb said:
Just pay thte $180 fine, or appx., and then live life without worrying about it. The probably have payment plans.
Guess what? If the fine was $180 I would pay it , the problem is that the ticket is $460!

LSCAP

There is a federal law that was designed to keep drunk drivers from going to other states to get a license.
The feds screwed up the law.
Eventually you will have your license suspended or they simply won't renew it. Then you might go crazy trying to find out whether the suspension is because of this or something else. ( like a minor ticket for something else )

Get a local lawyer. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Shay-Pari'e

LSCAP said:
There is a federal law that was designed to keep drunk drivers from going to other states to get a license.
The feds screwed up the law. Are you just spouting off, or will you provide proof?

Eventually you will have your license suspended or they simply won't renew it. Then you might go crazy trying to find out whether the suspension is because of this or something else. ( like a minor ticket for something else ) You are an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

LSCAP

About a year or two ago, a talk show host on 680 AM in NC(Jerry Agar He has since changed stations) had a co-worker who couldn't renew his license because of a ticket he'd paid over twenty years ago in another state. He was willing to pay it anyway, but they wouldn't take the money because they no longer had a record of it. It took the station months to clear it.

Another talk show host, Clark Howard, In NC also 680Am, broadcasting from Atlanta Ga. gets a call about every other month from someone who can't renew their license for the same reasons. He is the one that pointed out the problem with the FED law. But the other states seem to be getting better about clearing it up, after they are paid. When I feel like looking for the link, I will send it to Paridise.

Curt581

While you're looking, post the the law or link about the police not being able to issue tickets to people who are not sane, sober, or of legal age. I'm still waiting on that one.

I suspect I'm going to be waiting for very loooong time.

:rolleyes:

LSCAP said:
He is the one that pointed out the problem with the FED law. But the other states seem to be getting better about clearing it up, after they are paid. When I feel like looking for the link, I will send it to Paridise.
You may have additional info on this stuff, but from what I have read there is no FED law, if you mean "federal". Some states did not join the "non-resident Violator Compact", and there are provisions in the charter for any state to back out of it.

LSCAP

Curtis 581, Are you telling me you can give a ticket to someone drunk and passed out, or determined insane or a 5 year old?

Popakeith. The non resident violator compact was not started by some strangers in a back room, but by federal modification of the original one started by states like NY & NJ.

I have no idea what Paridise is complaining about. Nothing I said is wrong. If the OP doesn’t pay his ticket he stands a good chance of finding his license suspended. Some of these suspensions have come many years after the original violation was forgotten, and some cases the fine was already paid. Some of the smaller local courts seem to be slow in computerizing their systems and only in the past few years coming up with these suspensions.

In another thread she challenges what I said about talking to the DA. Again, I don’t know what her problem is. I’ve been there, I’ve seen it. I’ve been involved with it. In fact JDWJAVA jumped me when he thought I meant the court might not allow you to talk to the DA, when I meant I've been in courts where the DA refused to discuss anything but a guilty plea.
Most of these descriptions were in small county courts, NOT NYC, or anyplace like La, or Chicago .

Shay-Pari'e

LSCAP said:
Curtis 581, Are you telling me you can give a ticket to someone drunk and passed out, or determined insane or a 5 year old?

Popakeith. The non resident violator compact was not started by some strangers in a back room, but by federal modification of the original one started by states like NY & NJ.

I have no idea what Paridise is complaining about. Nothing I said is wrong. If the OP doesn’t pay his ticket he stands a good chance of finding his license suspended. Some of these suspensions have come many years after the original violation was forgotten, and some cases the fine was already paid. Some of the smaller local courts seem to be slow in computerizing their systems and only in the past few years coming up with these suspensions.

In another thread she challenges what I said about talking to the DA. Again, I don’t know what her problem is. I’ve been there, I’ve seen it. I’ve been involved with it. In fact JDWJAVA jumped me when he thought I meant the court might not allow you to talk to the DA, when I meant I've been in courts where the DA refused to discuss anything but a guilty plea.
Most of these descriptions were in small county courts, NOT NYC, or anyplace like La, or Chicago .
Here is clue # 1. Since when do cops have the ability to determine if one is "INSANE" before giving a ticket?

Either post the non existant link, or shut up.

Shay-Pari'e

LSCAP said:
To Paridise

Here is one of the links, http://www.aamva.org/documents/legrogercrossoraltestimony090602.pdf?ct=all&qu= drunk driver&st=r&action=search
this is the parent link http://www.aamva.org/

Living in California, do you all practice treading water? How long can you tread water? :)
How long are you going to be an idiot? Those links have nothing to do with your idiotic comments. What is your facination with CA? :rolleyes:

You deleted your post about the cops not being able to give a ticket to someone drunk or insane, but it is obvious you made it as Curt called you on it.

Now, for your own good, Curt is a cop. I think we are all waiting for your proof of such stupidity.
...................https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=274610

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">