• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I apply for a EIN with an ITIN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gamestarter4379

I'm trying to start a new business but lack a social, can I use my ITIN to get a EIN? If so what is the process to do it that way and can I do it with an address in the U.S.?

LdiJ

I'm trying to start a new business but lack a social, can I use my ITIN to get a EIN? If so what is the process to do it that way and can I do it with an address in the U.S.?
Do you really need an EIN? You can start the business as a sole proprietor.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Yes, you can get an EIN without a SSN. The real question is whether you actually need an EIN. You only need an EIN if you have a need to file a federal tax return that requires use of an EIN rather than a SSN or ITIN. That would returns like the Form 941 & 940 if you have employees, Form 1065 (partnership return), 1120 or 1120-S (corporation returns), etc.

quincy

You would probably benefit from sitting down with a business law professional in your area to discuss your business plans. It helps to have some legal guidance when starting any business but especially when starting a first business.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">