• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I plead guilty/not guilty to a 21a-279a1st ticket for possession of less than 1/2 oz. of marijuana in Connecticut?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikejohnson303

Backstory: 3 years ago, as a minor, I was caught with possession of less than 1/2 oz. of marijuana and faced a $150 ticket (which I paid) and came along with a 60-day license suspension, which ultimately resulted in some auto insurance repercussions. A few days ago, I was once again caught with possession of less than 1/2 oz. and was issued a ticket of $150 (I am no longer a minor). With that in mind, I was wondering if anything additional could happen to me as an adult if I paid the fine. Is pleading not guilty the best idea?

quincy

Backstory: 3 years ago, as a minor, I was caught with possession of less than 1/2 oz. of marijuana and faced a $150 ticket (which I paid) and came along with a 60-day license suspension, which ultimately resulted in some auto insurance repercussions. A few days ago, I was once again caught with possession of less than 1/2 oz. and was issued a ticket of $150 (I am no longer a minor). With that in mind, I was wondering if anything additional could happen to me as an adult if I paid the fine. Is pleading not guilty the best idea?
The fine is greater for a second offense but it is still a civil infraction (not a misdemeanor).

Here is a link to the marijuana laws in Connecticut:
http://norml.org/laws/item/connecticut-penalties

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pleading not guilty is useless unless you have something to counter the state's case.
Not necessarily. Pleading not guilty may simply allow the process to move forward to the next step for some reason, whether it be gaining time to hire counsel, or arranging some sort of deal with the prosecution.

quincy

Pleading not guilty is helpful if one needs time to consult with an attorney. A not guilty plea will result in the scheduling of a new hearing.

I am not sure consulting with an attorney is necessary for a civil infraction but it won't hurt to speak to an attorney before paying the fine. There is the possibility of drug abuse treatment being ordered on a second offense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">