• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if i break my lease???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugs mom

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am supposed to be signing a lease for an apt. on Sept 1st.
this is the issue. i am leaving an abusinve relationship. if he threatens, or harrassses me, im going to leave town. I need the apt on the 1st. my daughter and i are staying with a friend until the 1st. now if i need to leave town for our safety and sanity.....will the rental co. be understanding? i understand i would loose my deposit. will they hold we responsible for the remainder? what if i leave in 6 months? if it is a safety issue, can they FORCE me to do anything?

JETX

bugs mom said:
now if i need to leave town for our safety and sanity.....will the rental co. be understanding?
Probably not. If you are even considering having to breach the agreement, I strongly suggest you try to negotiate that allowance into your lease. If they refuse, you will have to decide to take the risk.

will they hold we responsible for the remainder?
No one can answer what they will do, but they will likely hold you to the terms of your lease.

what if i leave in 6 months?
Then you will likely be in breach of your lease.

if it is a safety issue, can they FORCE me to do anything?
Yep. They can force you to pay for the damages that they incur due to your breach.

Who's Liable?

bugs mom said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am supposed to be signing a lease for an apt. on Sept 1st.
this is the issue. i am leaving an abusinve relationship. if he threatens, or harrassses me, im going to leave town. I need the apt on the 1st. my daughter and i are staying with a friend until the 1st. now if i need to leave town for our safety and sanity.....will the rental co. be understanding? i understand i would loose my deposit. will they hold we responsible for the remainder? what if i leave in 6 months? if it is a safety issue, can they FORCE me to do anything?

You say you are supposed to be signing a lease for sept 1... That means you have not signed a lease yet... If you have not signed anythingm, than you are not on the hook for anything...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">