• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if I marry a woman from Columbia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevemahon

What is the name of your state?CO

I US citizen, born and raised. Currently I live and work in Curacao and my girlfriend is Columbian. We are both legal in Curacao on work visas. We are considering marriage and family. Ultimately we would like to live in the US. Is this going to be a problem? I would appreciate any resources for finding information or suggested steps to take.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stevemahon said:

I US citizen, born and raised. Currently I live and work in Curacao and my girlfriend is Columbian. We are both legal in Curacao on work visas. We are considering marriage and family. Ultimately we would like to live in the US. Is this going to be a problem? I would appreciate any resources for finding information or suggested steps to take.

My response:

It would only be a problem if . . . .

1. The United States won't let her into this country; or

2. She doesn't know how to grow coffee beans.

I'll bet #1 is true, and #2 in false. The simple fact is that we don't want, or need, any more foreigners coming into this country. She will not be well-received. Stay where you are, and keep her there too.

IAAL

evcalyptos

stevemahon said:

The easiest and fastest way to handle the US immigration portion may be to marry where you are and file petition I-130 at the local US Consulate. Once that is approved, your new spouse may apply for an Immigrant Visa at the same Consulate and use the Immigrant Visa to enter the US. She will become a Permanent Resident immediately and her Green Card will be mailed to her shortly afterward. This process usually takes a couple of months vs closer to a year if you have to file in the US.
Look at the Consulates webpage for information on Immigrant Visas and particularly on US citiznes resident in Curacao. You may have to travel to another island to the nearest US visa-issuing Consulate. If you contact them, be sure to let them know that you are residents in Curacao and what type of visas you have.

stevemahon

evcalyptos said:
The easiest and fastest way to handle the US immigration portion may be to marry where you are and file petition I-130 at the local US Consulate. Once that is approved, your new spouse may apply for an Immigrant Visa at the same Consulate and use the Immigrant Visa to enter the US. She will become a Permanent Resident immediately and her Green Card will be mailed to her shortly afterward. This process usually takes a couple of months vs closer to a year if you have to file in the US.
Look at the Consulates webpage for information on Immigrant Visas and particularly on US citiznes resident in Curacao. You may have to travel to another island to the nearest US visa-issuing Consulate. If you contact them, be sure to let them know that you are residents in Curacao and what type of visas you have.
Thanks for the help evcalyptos.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">