• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if someone who was ineligible ran for and won the Presidency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

if this somehow happened there would be no choice but to remove them from office.

The law provides for the vp to step in if the pres is incapacitated.

After that it would take a lot of people to figure out where it goes from there. It is such an unlikely scenario I doubt anybody has wasted much time trying to figure out "what if"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My semi-respectful response it that the situation is so unlikely to occur that it is not worth wasting brain power on.

TigerD

If it were to happen, people far smarter and better educated than most of us would handle it. The rest of us would post meaningless memes and misquote Lincoln on Facebook.

TD

Proserpina

My apologies if my question injected an unwanted overtone of partisanship, that was not my intention. I only cited Cruz because his story has been in the news recently and it's what made me think of the question. I'm a Canadian so really it doesn't matter to me whether he's eligible or not. I was merely wondering as an intellectual exercise. So any party Republican, Democrat, Independent, Whig I don't care. I don't even care if the ineligibility was something other than whether they were a natural born citizen. Maybe they forged documents to say they were 35 years old when they were in fact 34 and had someone alter databases to that effect on their behalf. Maybe they've only lived in the U.S. for 13 years when 14 is required. I really don't care why they're ineligible.

Of course I know the U.S. has the most vigorous vetting system in the world, I was merely wondering in your expert legal opinions what you believe would happen if this were to occur and let's say for argument's sake the person did not have Nixon's integrity and refused to resign and had to be removed from office. If you're not willing to speak to the question I would very respectfully and humbly ask you to extricate yourself from the conversation so that those who do care can discuss it.

Thanks for your time.

So who do you favor for the Super Bowl?

TigerD

Isn't it nice when Canadians want to learn about America's government?
They are our greatest national park. Of course, they want to learn about our government. Eventually they will drop this silly independent nation fantasy and accept that they have been a territory of the United States for centuries.

TD

hishighness

All right then, I'll go ask my question on a site that isn't populated by people who act like 12 year olds.

Thanks to the few who actually gave constructive responses.

Proserpina

All right then, I'll go ask my question on a site that isn't populated by people who act like 12 year olds.

Thanks to the few who actually gave constructive responses.
Heh. Many of us cross-post in other forums.

You think it's bad here? Oh man. Wait until you hit the other legal forums. You'll be wishing you were back here.

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">