• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Danieljanse

What is the name of your state? Montana

Theoretically...
If someone sent me the formula to Coca Cola and I sent it to Pepsi would I have any legal exposure?
If someone sent my a formula that did not have a patent or copyright would I have any exposure?

Let's call this the Soup Nazi scenario...could Elaine have been sued?

Just Blue

Theoretically...
If someone sent me the formula to Coca Cola and I sent it to Pepsi would I have any legal exposure?
If someone sent my a formula that did not have a patent or copyright would I have any exposure?

Is there a ligit reason you are asking this ...or is it for laughs and giggles?

D

Danieljanse

I do have a legit reason but I'd rather not go into specifics.

D

Danieljanse

The legit reason is that I bet someone about the Elaine situation.
I think a lawyer would laugh me out of his office.

D

Danieljanse

So if I have a legit reason I need to go to an attorney and if it's just a hypothetical I'm wasting your time. What a worthless forum.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
So if I have a legit reason I need to go to an attorney and if it's just a hypothetical I'm wasting your time. What a worthless forum.
No, child, that's not what Blue meant. Plenty of people come here with real issues and get real help. However, since you stated this was "theoretical" in your first post, but then wanted to pretend it was real, Blue gave you the advice to take it to an attorney. Because the volunteers (including attorneys) on this site don't need to entertain your foolishness, nor your attitude.

Just Blue

Goodness. A bet regarding a t.v. show is not a legit reason. Yes. Pay an attorney to answer the question or..GASP!...look up the law yourself.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Theoretically...
Potentially you would. A lot would depend on the details of what it was that were sent, how you got it, and what rights the person who gave it to you had. There is no simple yes or no for this. If you were ever actually in this situation you would want to run to an intellectual property lawyer for advice before you did anything with what you had.

Note that even if it turned out you had good defense to a claim by the creator of the formula involved, the cost to defend it alone might break you. Imagine what it would cost in litigation if Coca-Cola went after you loaded for bear putting in every legal resource at its disposal.

quincy

Theoretically...

Your question involves trade secret laws and (potentially) patent laws.

You (and Elaine with the soup recipe) could be criminally charged and sued for passing onto Pepsi the Coke formula. Your Pepsi/Coke example actually happened not too long ago.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">