• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What in the world is going on here with my landlord's son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I have been living in the same house for 3 and a half years. I just received a letter stating that things were changing on the lease, that his son will be doing inspections and maintenance. The original lease said the typical maintenance was up to me, for example, the furnace filter, but he also said they want to inspect the premises. When I met him a week ago with his father, I politely introduced myself. Next thing I know he has been on me about the mess in my yard, which isn't bad it is just a garden being built, which I was already told was fine, plus the landlord said any improvements he has no trouble with.

He gave me the ok to seed the yard as I got the bindweed under control. Cut dead branches off of trees, and now the city inspector even complimented me, saying he hasn't seen it look this good in 10 years. County agent said the same thing.

The son tried telling me that there have been multiple complaints against me by the city, which I called all departments only to find there has never been one filed. He wanted things cleaned up in the back, where I am gardening where there is wood, my tools, compost bin, lumber, and wood for my cooker, which is now stored in the cooker and the rest on a steel pallet off of the ground. He keeps telling me he may stop by on a day and if not then the next, this worries me, what exactly is "reasonable notification" for an inspection in KS

sandyclaus

I have been living in the same house for 3 and a half years. I just received a letter stating that things were changing on the lease, that his son will be doing inspections and maintenance. The original lease said the typical maintenance was up to me, for example, the furnace filter, but he also said they want to inspect the premises. When I met him a week ago with his father, I politely introduced myself. Next thing I know he has been on me about the mess in my yard, which isn't bad it is just a garden being built, which I was already told was fine, plus the landlord said any improvements he has no trouble with.

He gave me the ok to seed the yard as I got the bindweed under control. Cut dead branches off of trees, and now the city inspector even complimented me, saying he hasn't seen it look this good in 10 years. County agent said the same thing.

The son tried telling me that there have been multiple complaints against me by the city, which I called all departments only to find there has never been one filed. He wanted things cleaned up in the back, where I am gardening where there is wood, my tools, compost bin, lumber, and wood for my cooker, which is now stored in the cooker and the rest on a steel pallet off of the ground. He keeps telling me he may stop by on a day and if not then the next, this worries me, what exactly is "reasonable notification" for an inspection in KS
Your question has to do with right of entry and what the requirement might be for the LL who demands to enter the premises.

Kansas has a statute for that (http://www.landlord.com/landlord_right_of_entry_by_state.htm#KANSAS:_). It does not specify a particular notice requirement, timewise, but only states REASONABLE notice is required. For the most part, reasonable notice could mean as little as 12 hours or as much as 24 hours advance notice. Presumably, advance notice is intended to provide the tenant with a warning of the pending visit to allow them time to tidy up, or make arrangements to be at the rental during the visit, or to make any other arrangements that would be required to prepare for the visit. It also does NOT explicitly require written notice, meaning a verbal notice of their intent to enter is considered permissible.

One might argue that frequent visits within a short period of time with no stated purpose (or where the stated purpose does not seem valid or reasonable) might constitute harassment. If this is the case with you, the question would be, what exactly do you believe the LL's son is trying to accomplish?

Searchertwin

There could be a couple of things going on here.
1) His time to feel like a big shot
2) His time to get rid of tenant and move in

Send the LL, a ccr letter indicating that you understand that his son will be doing inspections and maintenance. Indicate that you both agree on that any improvements and use his words, "had no trouble with." Indicate that the city inspector, get his name, date, complimented me and include what he said.
Now, start with son, inform LL what son said about what he said city told him and that you could not confirm any of this through the city.
On inspection, find section of state law, that show when he can do inspections and the procedure of contacting you for the time frame.
Keep letter simple and to the point leaving out needless information or arguing.

I think the son will get the hint, that you are not a push-over
Get everything in writing and now is the time to take pictures of place with dates.

Last edited:
I already have the State Landlord tenant act on pdf along with the city requirements. I have written down everything said in a notebook, along with issues that need to be taken care, such as the 220 v outlet having no cover on it, no cover on the power outlet below the sink, which when doing any work on electrical in this city I already discovered requires them to bring it up to current code, as there are no GFCI outlets. There are no smoke detectors in the bedrooms, just the kitchen, so I purchased my own when I bought CO detectors. The A/C has not been checked out, nor the furnace the whole time I have lived here. In the contract, it was very general on tenant responsibilities for service done as it says Other without any specification. It also misquotes the landlord tenant act saying that the deposit cannot be used for rent, which in the form I got from the state says it can.

In the state of Kansas verbal contracts are binding, and advance notice can be given verbally, I understand that. It was the LL that actually said he had no issues with improvements. I repaired the deck stairs as they were not attached to the deck in the back, but sitting on a cinder block. A couple years ago, when I decided to use the back door, the stairs fell, I had no rail to grab, so I fell, ended up spending 6 months doing physical therapy for my back.

When the lease was started, there was no walk through done with an inventory, so I never received one, the crack in the kitchen entryway I was told a carpenter would look at and fix, but even when sending a letter with my rent check requesting it, it never got done, the windows that were not working right they sent a repairman who nailed them shut. I also believe there is supposed to be an annual inspection for things such as the need for an exterminator, but that has never happened, I have done it myself because I was unaware of it. I also was never given an emergency contact number, just the business number, and told only to call on mondays and tuesdays.

Recently I found out the house was moved here 10 years ago and set on a new foundation, which I am being told means that wiring should have been up to code for that year, not sure if that is true though.

Justifer

How do you get this as harassment?
Because he gives reason of wanting to inspect the place?
Because he wanted things cleaned up?

He has every right to come back and check it. But I do agree that he should notice.

Harassment, I don't think so!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">