• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What information are we required to give?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TxStep

Just got a letter from the District Attorney in California notifying us of an upcoming child support review. They want the following documents: income tax returns, pay stubs, personal accounting records, current spouse's income verification, insurance policies, bank statements for the last year including all deposits and withdrawls, and documentation of all visitation and associated costs. The demands are followed by the statement "if you do not provide us with the information we have requested, you can be required to appear in court and provide the information at that time."

First, what information are we legally required to give? I thought the spouse's income was not relevant. Secondly, are special circumstances taken into consideration? We just bought our first house and have been working between 60 and 80 hours per week to make extra for the downpayment. I do not want child support based on this as that is obviously not the normal schedule.

Any direction to legal codes that would tell me what information is required to be supplied would be appreciated.

Ambr

rather or not the spouses income is included would depend upon the individual state. i am assuming that CA has jurisdiction, not TX?

The amount of child support to be paid by parents is based on the amount of time each parent spends with the child and their net disposable incomes. CalWORKS grants are not considered income for purposes of calculating child support. Income is money from sources including: self-employment, job wages, savings accounts, unemployment money, disability and workers' compensation, interest, dividends, rents, Social Security and any other payments or credits due or becoming due regardless of source. The court may consider the amount of money he or she thinks the parent could be making, instead of the parent's actual income.

http://www.childsup.cahwnet.gov/cshandbook.htm

you want to read section 7 of this handbook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">