• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Information Can I Take From a Website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stravism

What is the name of your state? California

I am creating an online directory for the dental community. In the process of doing so, I am summarizing the businesses and people that serve dentists (accountants, attorneys, consultants, etc). On my directory, I will say that John Doe is a consultant for dentists. John Doe gives out his personal phone number and email address on his website, so I want to copy that and put it on my directory. Am I allowed to do that? What information from John Doe's business website and I allowed to copy to my directory website?

Thank you!

quincy

What is the name of your state? California

I am creating an online directory for the dental community. In the process of doing so, I am summarizing the businesses and people that serve dentists (accountants, attorneys, consultants, etc). On my directory, I will say that John Doe is a consultant for dentists. John Doe gives out his personal phone number and email address on his website, so I want to copy that and put it on my directory. Am I allowed to do that? What information from John Doe's business website and I allowed to copy to my directory website?

Thank you!
You can take and use for your site any facts you find online. Facts are not subject to copyright protection.

You cannot take the "expression" of these facts (e.g., how the facts are presented on a webpage). You cannot print off or copy someone else's webpage or what they have written or illustrated.

Facts include names, business addresses, business phone numbers., publicly published business email addresses.

You should avoid publishing any personal information like home addresses, home phone numbers or cell phone numbers. Email addresses can also at times be problematic.

You will want to verify that all information you publish is accurate and up to date.

Good luck.

Last edited:

stravism

You can take and use for your site any facts you find online. Facts are not subject to copyright protection.

You cannot take the "expression" of these facts (e.g., how the facts are presented on a webpage). You cannot print off or copy someone else's webpage or what they have written or illustrated.

Facts include names, business addresses, business phone numbers.

You should avoid publishing personal information like home addresses, home phone numbers or cell phone numbers, and email addresses can also at times be problematic.
Fantastic! Thank you!

stravism

Sorry, one more question. What if that same business for John Doe has Google and Yelp REVIEWS and I want to import these reviews on to my directory. They will show the true source of the review is Google or Yelp, but they will be in one place on my directory. Do have I have the ability to take those reviews and put them on my site?

quincy

Sorry, one more question. What if that same business for John Doe has Google and Yelp REVIEWS and I want to import these reviews on to my directory. They will show the true source of the review is Google or Yelp, but they will be in one place on my directory. Do have I have the ability to take those reviews and put them on my site?
No. You cannot use the reviews. They belong to the review sites (and/or the authors of the reviews).

DavidS24

Surely not everyone knows that this is a problem. Indeed, for the most part, SEO theory only mentions that there should be no precedent for duplicating content that has already been posted on any other site.

In fact, you need to keep track of uniqueness not only on the Internet in general, but also within your web resource.

One of the problems will be the deterioration of indexing. Considering that search engine robots have to spend certain resources on indexing pages, noticing repeating content within the same web resource, they begin to return to it less often to repeat this procedure. I checked it with help of this service (link removed) and I managed to analyze other technical parameters of website.
In the end, if this problem repeats itself more and more often, the site indexing may stop altogether. In addition, it adversely affects the opinion of search engines about him and, as a result, may well be the cause of lowering positions.

quincy

Surely not everyone knows that this is a problem. Indeed, for the most part, SEO theory only mentions that there should be no precedent for duplicating content that has already been posted on any other site.

In fact, you need to keep track of uniqueness not only on the Internet in general, but also within your web resource.

One of the problems will be the deterioration of indexing. Considering that search engine robots have to spend certain resources on indexing pages, noticing repeating content within the same web resource, they begin to return to it less often to repeat this procedure. I checked it with help of this service XXX and I managed to analyze other technical parameters of website.
In the end, if this problem repeats itself more and more often, the site indexing may stop altogether. In addition, it adversely affects the opinion of search engines about him and, as a result, may well be the cause of lowering positions.
This thread is an old one from December of last year. Adding comments to old threads is frowned upon on this forum so please look at dates prior to posting. Thanks

The link in your post was reported for deletion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">