• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a bedroom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Does the “bedroom” have an electrical receptacle about every 12 feet along the wall and within a couple feet of a door? Does it have either a switched overhead light or a switched receptacle?

Does it have a window that fits this description:

Minimum width of window opening: 20 inches
•Minimum height of window opening: 24 inches
•Minimum square area of opening: 5.7 square feet (5.0 square feet for ground floor)
•Maximum window sill height: 44 inches
•Must be openable without keys, tools, or special knowledge

Or a second exit door

Does it meet all of these

Minimum area of 70 square feet

Minimum horizontal dimension of 7 feet

Minimum ceiling height of 7 feet. If a sloped ceiling then a minimum of 50% of ceiling must be minimum 7 feet.

Must have an installed heating system capable of maintaining 68º F. A plug-in space heater does not count.

Needs an openable window or mechanical means of ventilation.

mike spence

The "comparable" that's in my first post has/or is supposed to have similar features to my house. Age and condition aren't factors. It's just supposed to be "equal or beter". They aren't saying my house is worth $275k. It just means I can spend $275k on a house. If it was a REAL four bedroom house the number would be higher.

quincy

The "comparable" that's in my first post has/or is supposed to have similar features to my house. Age and condition aren't factors. It's just supposed to be "equal or beter". They aren't saying my house is worth $275k. It just means I can spend $275k on a house. If it was a REAL four bedroom house the number would be higher.
Who is telling you this?

mike spence

I have a stack of papers, the relocation consultant, PennDOT, and a lawyer. I've been going through this for 11 months. I'm a quasi-expert by now.

I also have an appraised value. It's pretty irrelevant as it's lower than the list price of the comparable.

quincy

I have a stack of papers, the relocation consultant, PennDOT, and a lawyer. I've been going through this for 11 months. I'm a quasi-expert by now.

I also have an appraised value. It's pretty irrelevant as it's lower than the list price of the comparable.
I am happy to hear you have an attorney working with you.

mike spence

Does the “bedroom” have an electrical receptacle about every 12 feet along the wall and within a couple feet of a door? Does it have either a switched overhead light or a switched receptacle?

Does it have a window that fits this description:

Minimum width of window opening: 20 inches
•Minimum height of window opening: 24 inches
•Minimum square area of opening: 5.7 square feet (5.0 square feet for ground floor)
•Maximum window sill height: 44 inches
•Must be openable without keys, tools, or special knowledge

Or a second exit door

Does it meet all of these

Minimum area of 70 square feet

Minimum horizontal dimension of 7 feet

Minimum ceiling height of 7 feet. If a sloped ceiling then a minimum of 50% of ceiling must be minimum 7 feet.

Must have an installed heating system capable of maintaining 68º F. A plug-in space heater does not count.

Needs an openable window or mechanical means of ventilation.
Which could make most rooms in a house a bedroom. Like the Mitch Hedberg joke...

I bought a house, it's a 2-bedroom house. But I think it's up to me how many bedrooms there are, don't you? This bedroom has an oven in it! This bedroom has a lot of people sitting around watching TV. This bedroom's over in that guy's house.'

But people have certain expectations of what a bedroom is. You know it when you see it. I think most realtors want the room to at least have a closet. If the realtor selling this house thought the same way I wouldn't be here talking about it.

quincy

Which could make most rooms in a house a bedroom. Like the Mitch Hedberg joke...

I bought a house, it's a 2-bedroom house. But I think it's up to me how many bedrooms there are, don't you? This bedroom has an oven in it! This bedroom has a lot of people sitting around watching TV. This bedroom's over in that guy's house.'

But people have certain expectations of what a bedroom is. You know it when you see it. I think most realtors want the room to at least have a closet. If the realtor selling this house thought the same way I wouldn't be here talking about it.
Many of the houses I have purchased over the years have been 100+ year old houses and either had no closets in the bedrooms or closets were added to the rooms over time. So my expectations are a bit different. :)

But I agree that most people probably expect bedrooms to have closets.

mike spence

This house was built in the 1830's, and has closets in every bedroom. Who knows if they were there originally though.

On another note, I just realized I could look up tax info on the house. It's called a one story house with three bedrooms. The second floor seems like an attic to the taxman.

quincy

This house was built in the 1830's, and has closets in every bedroom. Who knows if they were there originally though.

On another note, I just realized I could look up tax info on the house. It's called a one story house with three bedrooms. The second floor seems like an attic to the taxman.
Permits may not have been pulled when the attic was converted to a bedroom.

justalayman

So ask if it’s a bedroom. I provide what makes a bedroom a bedroom and you refuse to answer me

I’m out.

adjusterjack

This is an interesting discussion because I am looking at a house now that is listed as 3 bedrooms. One of the bedrooms has the washer/dryer plumbed into what was once a closet so the house is really 2 bedrooms with an extra large laundry room.

:rolleyes:

mike spence

My dad's cousin was looking at old house that claimed to have 2.5 baths. In the dank old cellar there was a toilet near the wall, no sink, no walls around it, and the toilet didn't even work! That was the half bath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">