• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a dispository hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
TEXAS

What is a dispository hearing? We have been offered this option in lieu of trial. What happens at this hearing?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state?
TEXAS

What is a dispository hearing? We have been offered this option in lieu of trial. What happens at this hearing?
Ain't no such critter as dispository.

Who is we?

Who is offering the option?

What caused all this?

Civil or criminal?

My mistake, I think it is called a dispositive hearing. This is in a criminal case where the State has not been able to produce the affidavit for the search and seizure, our attorney has filed a motion to suppress, the ADA and our attorney discussed a dispositive hearing in lieu of a trial. Is dispositive the right word?

seniorjudge

Sounds like a motion to dismiss.

You'd have to ask your attorney for details.

I can't tell what you are talking about.

THey said this hearing was to "dispose" of the case one way or the other. Is this not common? Supposedly if the State produces an affidavit, we take the plea offer. If they don't then I am assuming the case will be dismissed.

If the case is dismissed, will the State then have to return our seized property such as computers and other equipment? (There were no illegal drugs or anything like that involved)

seniorjudge

THey said this hearing was to "dispose" of the case one way or the other. Is this not common? Supposedly if the State produces an affidavit, we take the plea offer. If they don't then I am assuming the case will be dismissed.

If the case is dismissed, will the State then have to return our seized property such as computers and other equipment? (There were no illegal drugs or anything like that involved)
I'm not sure why you don't want to talk to your lawyer, but this sounds like a motion to suppress. If the government cannot prove that it had the right to search, then the seized stuff won't be allowed in as evidence. Thus, no case.

If the stuff is not contraband, then you get it back.

fairisfair

ah. . . you are talking about a disposition hearing. go to google and type in texas disposition hearing. You should get plenty of information. and stop making our heads hurt guessing with your spelling:p ;)

seniorjudge

ah. . . you are talking about a disposition hearing. go to google and type in texas disposition hearing. You should get plenty of information. and stop making our heads hurt guessing with your spelling:p ;)
There's a suppository hearing also.

True story:

We had a joker in the clink one time who was sick and was prescribed suppositories.

After a few days, he told the jailer he was not feeling well and, besides, that medicine tasted awful.

The jailer said, "You're not supposed to eat that stuff!"

The joker (criminal) said, "What are you supposed to do with it!"

The jailer told him bluntly; the joker did not believe him.

From then on, we had "suppository hearings" for stupid criminals.

fairisfair

There's a suppository hearing also.

True story:

We had a joker in the clink one time who was sick and was prescribed suppositories.

After a few days, he told the jailer he was not feeling well and, besides, that medicine tasted awful.

The jailer said, "You're not supposed to eat that stuff!"

The joker (criminal) said, "What are you supposed to do with it!"

The jailer told him bluntly; the joker did not believe him.

From then on, we had "suppository hearings" for stupid criminals.
ah, judge, you make me laugh!!! out loud, even!!;)

seniorjudge

ah, judge, you make me laugh!!! out loud, even!!;)
Did I ever tell you about the prisoner the jailer baptized in the horse trough outside?

The prisoner escaped the next day.

I issued a court order allowing only baptism by sprinkling under the spigot in the bathroom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">