• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is conidered written notice for leaving the area

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lopan122

Ohio. My divorce decree says i have to give written notice before leaving the primary living area with my child while i have her( im the non-custodial parent). The ex says i have to write out a paper saying exactly where im taking her during my allowed week of vacation with my daughter BEFORE i pick her up for the week. The decree only says i have to give written notice, it does not say when i have to give notice or in what form. Would a text or email telling her where we are going before i take her out of the area be considered acceptable legally? Thanks

LdiJ

Ohio. My divorce decree says i have to give written notice before leaving the primary living area with my child while i have her( im the non-custodial parent). The ex says i have to write out a paper saying exactly where im taking her during my allowed week of vacation with my daughter BEFORE i pick her up for the week. The decree only says i have to give written notice, it does not say when i have to give notice or in what form. Would a text or email telling her where we are going before i take her out of the area be considered acceptable legally? Thanks
A text definitely would not be acceptable. An email might be acceptable. It really depends on exactly what the order says, word for word. And yes, notice generally is in ADVANCE of an event. So I think that mom is right that you need to give notice before you pick the child up.

lopan122

word for word is- Each parent shale provide the other parent with destination, times of departure, and method of travel when taking the children outside the parents community. sorry i was writing the original post from what i remembered i guess it doesnt even say written notice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
word for word is- Each parent shale provide the other parent with destination, times of departure, and method of travel when taking the children outside the parents community. sorry i was writing the original post from what i remembered i guess it doesnt even say written notice.
Provide that in writing then to the other parent. And it could be in email or CRRR.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Seriously - how hard is it to put pen to paper (or send the info to a printer) anf give the othe parent the info in a hard copy? Is this the hill you want to die on? If you can't get it to her on paper before, emsail it and tell her you'll have a hard copy for her to keep when you pick kiddo up.

The things people fight over.... SMH.

lopan122

The issue is i don't know our plans for sure yet. I cant give her an exact listing of every single thing were gona do. Things like weather making a trip not advisable, work schedule not in place yet for my parents and my gf who want to go with us not being available yet, a family party that the date may still be changed due to a couple members not sure yet if they can make it. Im not "fighting" with her i just cant give her a schedule now and be certain i wont have to change the days around or make other plans if an idea doesn't work out for any reason that's all.

torimac

So give her the plan as it is today. If it changes due to weather or other circumstances, send her an updated email. You are making this too difficult.

lopan122

well the last thing she said to me was" if you don't give me a written list of every place your going to take her before you pick her up your not going to take her anywhere and i'm going to call child services if you do leave the area". Seriously she really is that way that's why i needed to know. But i guess that's what i'm going to have to do what torimac said

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well the last thing she said to me was" if you don't give me a written list of every place your going to take her before you pick her up your not going to take her anywhere and i'm going to call child services if you do leave the area". Seriously she really is that way that's why i needed to know. But i guess that's what i'm going to have to do what torimac said
She's blowing smoke. Give a list of your plans. If they change, apprise her of the change. Easy peasy.

LdiJ

Her threatening to call child services is an absurd and empty threat.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The issue is i don't know our plans for sure yet. I cant give her an exact listing of every single thing were gona do. Things like weather making a trip not advisable, work schedule not in place yet for my parents and my gf who want to go with us not being available yet, a family party that the date may still be changed due to a couple members not sure yet if they can make it. Im not "fighting" with her i just cant give her a schedule now and be certain i wont have to change the days around or make other plans if an idea doesn't work out for any reason that's all.
Where are your cojones? Give her the current schedule and consider it good.

Just Blue

This is, IMO, a crappy court order. Seriously if NCP wants to talk Jr to the fllipping mall 25 miles away for the day he has to let CP know? OY!!

justtooknotes

My parenting plans require both parents to provide the following prior to travel.

Dates of travel.
Mode of travel and if by airplane provide flight info.
Name and address of destination
Contact number at destination (not your cell phone)

If changes happen. Lets say your hotel overbooked and you change where you stay. Just shoot an email with updated info.
The Courts do accept emails and her nonsense about written letter is bogus. I bet your order states written notice. I would not use anything that I cannot show to prove I gave this info.
We use text and email.

We do not have to explain to each other what we plan to do while on vacation or trip.

Each parent has a right to know where the children are, so this really is not about keeping tabs on each other.

I am a woman and here is some advise... Keep quiet and send the email as expressed in the order. You have her against the wall right now because she CANNOT THREATEN to withhold visitation. Let her withhold visitation because she thinks she is entitled to a list of your daily activities, because she is not. She is only entitled to know where the children will sleep each night.

Last edited:

Silverplum

My parenting plans require both parents to provide the following prior to travel.

Dates of travel.

If changes happen. Lets say your hotel overbooked and you change where you stay. Just shoot an email with updated info.
The Courts do accept emails and her nonsense about written letter is bogus. I bet your order states written notice. I would not use anything that I cannot show to prove I gave this info.
We use text and email.

We do not have to explain to each other what we plan to do while on vacation or trip.

Each parent has a right to know where the children are, so this really is not about keeping tabs on each other.

I am a woman and here is some advise... Keep quiet and send the email as expressed in the order. You have her against the wall right now because she CANNOT THREATEN to withhold visitation. Let her withhold visitation because she thinks she is entitled to a list of your daily activities, because she is not. She is only entitled to know where the children will sleep each night.
Sure, she CAN threaten.

:rolleyes:

Proserpina

Dates of travel.
Does your parenting plan include the OP?

We use text and email.
And your order applies to every other order?

You do if your court order tells you to.

I am a woman and here is some advise... Keep quiet and send the email as expressed in the order.
What has your gender got to do with anything?

You have her against the wall right now
Is that so?

because she CANNOT THREATEN to withhold visitation.
Sure she can.

Let her withhold visitation because she thinks she is entitled to a list of your daily activities, because she is not.
Oh?

She is only entitled to know where the children will sleep each night.
I can see why the judge in your case got a bit miffed with you. You're actually trying to make things adversarial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">