• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is definition of abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas

What is the definition of abandonment when the divorce is already final and child support orders in effect?

If the NCP has nine years of arrearages 38K plus interest- pays 100 here or there (maybe total of 800 to 1000 annually), and chooses to only see the child/ren once or twice a year, could this be abandonment?

What would abandonment charges do?

ceara19

bonkers101 said:
Texas

What is the definition of abandonment when the divorce is already final and child support orders in effect?

If the NCP has nine years of arrearages 38K plus interest- pays 100 here or there (maybe total of 800 to 1000 annually), and chooses to only see the child/ren once or twice a year, could this be abandonment?

In Texas, it is unusual for abandonment charges to be filed unless the parent left the child alone or with a person other than a parent. In this case it would be more likely for criminal charges to be filed for felony failure to pay child support.

B

betterthanher

bonkers101 said:
Texas

The definition of abandonment usually varies per state, but nothing you listed constitutes abandonment.

thanks, just saw another post with that listed as a charge and made me wonder.

Yes, I have done everything in my power to pursue with AG office, they are of no help as he lives from couch to couch and works for himself "under the table". Hasn't filed taxes, no current address, nothing. I have nothing more than what he gives me and that is a cell phone number which I have supplied numerous times to AG.

Seems SOMEDAY it may catch up, but until then our son gets to see dad skirting the law in every way and then giving me and son a guilt trip when he comes to see him once or twice a year. :mad:

ceara19

Since he has no regular contact with the child, file to have his visitation rights revoked. You could coordinate it with the AG's office, so that they could be there to serve him with CS enforcement papers or arrest him for failure to pay if he shows up.

Don't know that would help at all - i have been his "enabler" for years now, he has never taken a visitation as stipulated in the decree. He comes down (from Dallas to Houston 220 miles) to see his son and stays at my house once or twice a year (though each time i have told him this is the LAST time). This last time was a nightmare and so highly uncomfortable I am angry at myself for allowing this to go on.

His relationship with his son is his responsibility and I am tired of trying to enforce a relationship by simply enabling him to be such a part time father. He is trying to guilt me into forgiving his support so he can move forward with his life. When that didn't work he tried EVERYTHING in his power to get me to "let us be a family again" and he would move in with us and try again. UH NO...he spent the entire weekend up my tail and completely ignored his son, again making me the bad guy for not wanting us to be a family. When I shunned his advances, he broke down and talked of killing himself. this is NOT healthy in any way so I am putting my foot down.

so....even if I took away his visitation, he would still pop in once or twice a year. Though he will never stay here again at my home...so that may take care of that anyhoo...he won't come down if he doesn't stay here.

I just wish it would catch up to him sooner than later. Anything more I can do? AG has all info I can give them. He just can't be located it seems.

ceara19

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to have the AG's office secure a bench warrant for failure to pay. Then next time he shows up at the door, call the police and have him arrested. You'd be surprised how many deadbeats, oops sorry, "morally challenged" (don't want to offend) people can come up with the money for child support when the other option is staying in jail.

thanks, I will look into that though we probably won't hear from him again for a good 6 months or longer. I'll call and find out what that would take, I spoke to the AG this morning and they gave me nothing to go on, not even hope. :(

ceara19

bonkers101 said:
thanks, I will look into that though we probably won't hear from him again for a good 6 months or longer. I'll call and find out what that would take, I spoke to the AG this morning and they gave me nothing to go on, not even hope. :(
They won't give you much help until you MAKE them. I had to call 3-4 times a day and emailed daily (to the point they blocked my email address) before they would actually DO anything. Basically, I made it very clear that I was not going away until they gave me satisfactory answers to my questions, instead of "I don't know", "that's not my job", "you'll need to speak with another department" and every other excuse you could ever think of. They finally gave me some answers, I didn't like all of them, but at least it was SOMETHING.

Tinaa

As I have mentioned before, write your congresspeople. Write your state and national elected officials and the AG himself. I got responses within two weeks from the senators! And quick service from the OAG in getting a hearing set!

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">