• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is fair compensation for Windshield crack caused by 18 wheeler.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cool

What is the name of your state?CA
I have a late model Mustang. Without insurance windshield is over $500. Is $200 fair compensation for ding? Repair at name brand shop is $125. Big rig of major company damaged window.

adjusterjack

Call around to several places. I have a late model Crown Vic. My last windshield was $160. Might be a little higher now.

xylene

That price seemed astronomically high at first glance but it seems 450 and up is typical.

Tammy75

In my state, glass breakage is covered by your own insurance. Why do you have such a high deductible?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a late model Mustang. Without insurance windshield is over $500. Is $200 fair compensation for ding? Repair at name brand shop is $125. Big rig of major company damaged window.
It seems to me that "fair compensation" is $125 (+ taxes, etc), for repair at a "name brand shop".

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I'm guessing that by "ding", you mean a chip in the windshield. I don't think I'd be happy with a repair. I'd want the windshield replaced.
Repairs very often do not hide the damage, but they do prevent it from getting worse and causing problems. I probably wouldn't be happy being able to see the imperfection and would feel better with a replacement.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Does your insurance cover it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Repairs very often do not hide the damage, but they do prevent it from getting worse and causing problems.
Not disagreeing in general, but I do have an anecdotal story: Several years back, I bought a lightly used car. I drove it for about 6 months before I noticed a very slight distortion on the windshield just behind/below the rear view mirror. Yep, it was a repaired chip in the windshield. Even after I knew about it I'd usually have to hunt for a couple of seconds to locate it.

Cool

Comprehensive ded. $1k. When I had Farmers it was $0. My insurance will fix ding $0 ded. They will not replace windshield. My windshield was perfect. The cost is high because it came OEM with a fancy Ford logo. Seems big box retailer is urging me to fix tomorrow. They said they would compensate but haven't yet.

Cool

Driver was driving unsafely on the shoulder. If he stays in slow lane my windshield doesn't get damage. In hindsight I should've jumped in HOV lane to get away from him during rush hr. I hear ya'll. Even if I take $200 my windshield is no longer pristine and future dings would force me to replace. So fixing ding doesn't make me 'whole' but its better than nothing.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I've never had a deductible on glass coverage. Glass coverage is usually pretty inexpensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">