• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is sheriff sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarah17

What is the name of your state?pennsylvania

i have no idea if i am in the right forum or not but i need to know what a sheriff sale is? my old house that i am no longer living in is having one of those. and i want to know what they do, and if i can go and watch what they do. do other people go there that i may not even know? is it like an auction or what is it? please hurry it happens tomarrow.

Some Random Guy

Additional info: The link posted before is for Australia, but the overall concept is the same in the US - your stuff gets sold to pay back the people that you owe (and to pay the sheriff for the hassle of selling your stuff)

sarah17

i thought they did this at ur home where they were conducting the sale but it says its in the courtroom. do they take all the stuff left in the house or just leave it there

pty

I imagine this is the foreclosure sale, which is also called a sheriff's sale in PA. I say 'imagine' because for all I know there could be sheriff sales for things other than foreclosures. If it is the foreclosure sale, then it is a public event that anyone can attend and is normally (and may be legally required to be?) held at the courthouse. The property will be offered for sale, the lender will bid the amount needed to payoff the loan, then others can bid over that amount. It is the sale of the property only, not anything that is on/in the property and owned by the mortgagor. If you are interested in bidding on the property, then you should do lots of research first about the process and the risks involved.

My disclaimer--I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY (but I did work for a mortgage company, although it was years ago)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">