• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is the age a child must be to recieve child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Idaho

I am pregnant and would like to know if my husbands child support to his ex-wife will change now (since he technically has a dependant child) or at the time of its birth in March.



In Pa (which is where I am from), it doesn't matter.
I was actually paying child support when my husband and I became pregnant with my daughter ---it didn't go down at all...

Because, it had to be before the child support order was in effect.
Meaning...I would have had to conceive her(my husbands daughter who is 1 1/2) before my ex and I had my son in 1996.
It may or may not be this way in your state???
I thought it would go down too, because I had another dependent but the way they look at is: I chose to have my daughter.... I knew my financial state before I got pregnant with her. They in a sense are not taking from one child to give to another.


just my opinion......

In the State of New Jersey, yes, there are cases where the person obligated to pay child support can get an "other dependant credit"....and yes, my ex did get it!!....I think it all depends on how much you make, and different things such as the age of the other dependant, and of course as usual the JUDGE that hears your case. Not everyone will get the credit, but yes there is such a thing in the State of New Jersey!!...I just dont know if there is such a thing in Idaho....maybe do some research.


Senior Member
In NC they will give you some credit for other biological children living in the home. (After they are born of course.) However, this can only be used during a modification and it can't be the only reason for a modification, only part of it.

I don't know about Idaho but it may tell you on this website. If not, you can always call CSE and ask them. You don't have to tell them who you are or anything. Just ask them if they give credit on child support orders for othe biological children living in the home of an NCP and if they allow modifications for it.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential