• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the general consensus of responsibility of a Vehicle owner while in the mechanics possession.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

When leaving a vehicle in a mechanics possession for a duration of months (Parts requiring to be back ordered due to COVID), is it the mechanics duty to preserve the vehicle for that time span of the work being ordered is completed or is it the owners duty to ensure the mechanic preserves the vehicle properly while in their possession such as emptying the gas, putting a stabilizer, protecting it from weathering etc etc.

Thank you.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state? California

When leaving a vehicle in a mechanics possession for a duration of months (Parts requiring to be back ordered due to COVID), is it the mechanics duty to preserve the vehicle for that time span of the work being ordered is completed or is it the owners duty to ensure the mechanic preserves the vehicle properly while in their possession such as emptying the Gas, putting a Stabilizer, Protecting it from weathering etc etc.

Thank you.
The mechanic should not do anything to the vehicle without the owner’s permission.

adjusterjack

When leaving a vehicle in a mechanics possession for a duration of months (Parts requiring to be back ordered due to COVID), is it the mechanics duty to preserve the vehicle for that time span of the work being ordered is completed or is it the owners duty to ensure the mechanic preserves the vehicle properly while in their possession such as emptying the Gas, putting a Stabilizer, Protecting it from weathering etc etc.
The mechanic need take only ordinary care. Ordinary care is park the car in a corner (or on the lot) and leave it there.

What you are talking about is beyond ordinary care and should have been agreed upon in writing at the time the car was placed into the mechanic's care.

The mechanic would have been within his rights to charge a fee for that extra service.

zddoodah

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "preserves the vehicle" or "putting a Stabilizer" (capital "S"?). That said, it is the mechanic's responsibility to take reasonable measures to ensure the vehicle isn't damaged, but the owner should act in his/her own self-interest. If the owner wants particular things done, then he/she should discuss same with the mechanic.

The mechanic need take only ordinary care. Ordinary care is park the car in a corner (or on the lot) and leave it there.

What you are talking about is beyond ordinary care and should have been agreed upon in writing at the time the car was placed into the mechanic's care.

The mechanic would have been within his rights to charge a fee for that extra service.
So in your opinion, a mechanic has no duty to preserve the mechanics of the vehicle while its in their care, just the cosmetic of the body itself? So I assume its the same with computer techs not having to charge a laptops lithium battery then or any other fluidic maintenance on any repair in your opinion in beyond ordinary care?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So in your opinion, a mechanic has no duty to preserve the mechanics of the vehicle while its in their care, just the cosmetic of the body itself? So I assume its the same with computer techs not having to charge a laptops lithium battery then or any other fluidic maintenance on any repair in your opinion in beyond ordinary care?

Thanks.
Yes - now, if you paid for such maintenance, the answer might be different.

Apparently you didn't, or you wouldn't have asked the question.
Grow up.
I asked if maintaining fluid is apart of ordinary duty, not if paying for a service would make a difference. No crud it would be apart of their duty if I paid for it Zigner.

*Updated wording, lost cool there for a moment over Zigner saying its bright outside*

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I asked if maintaining fluid is apart of ordinary duty, not if paying for a service would make a difference. No cookies it would be apart of their duty if I paid for it Zigner.
Actually, it is apart of an ordinary duty and would not be apart of their duty if it was paid for.

adjusterjack

Let's clear something up here.

Did you leave your car at a shop, and something happened to it, and you want to know if you can get compensated by the shop owner?

If yes, provide details as to why you left your car, what was to be done to it, how long it was there., and what happened to it.

Or:

Are you going to leave your car at the shop and you want to know to what extent the shop owner would be responsible? Also provide details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">