• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the meaning of a Domestic Scheduling Conference?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pdm204

I wanted to know if anybody can help me please. What is the meaning of a domestic scheduling conference? My ex and I have been separated for 8 years. He has started divorce proceedings, but I don't understand what a domestic scheduling conference is. My ex told me I do not need a lawyer for the divorce but I know he has obtained a lawyer. Should I get a lawyer? Can anybody help me please? Thank you very much!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I wanted to know if anybody can help me please. What is the meaning of a domestic scheduling conference? My ex and I have been separated for 8 years. He has started divorce proceedings, but I don't understand what a domestic scheduling conference is. My ex told me I do not need a lawyer for the divorce but I know he has obtained a lawyer. Should I get a lawyer? Can anybody help me please? Thank you very much!
Hire a lawyer. If your ex has one you should have one. A domestic scheduling conference will most likely be used to set a pretrial and divorce hearing and determine the timeline of the proceedings.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Of course your husband told you you don't need an attorney - he's looking to get the upper hand. Your husband's attorney is looking out for his best interests, and his alone. You need a professional on your side.

As Ohiogal advised, you need an attorney. Before you start this process look for one who specializes in divorce and family law. Consultations are sometimes free (certainly not always) but you need to get an idea of what is really going on and what you're up against. Believe me, it will be money well spent.

HRZ

You would be unwise to go into any sort of adversarial situation like divorce without counsel ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">