• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the Statue of Limitations on a Federal Money Judgement in a criminal case?T

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Thank you all so much for your replies. A bit of information . . . it was questioned whether I am talking about restitution versus a federal money judgment. I ASSURE YOU 100% this is a federal money judgement. In criminal cases this is part of the new norm.

In any event, thank you all again. Keep the replies coming. I am watching.
What federal crime were you convicted of?

quincy

Knowing the crime that led to the judgment will help narrow down the type of lawyer that will be needed to fight the judgment.

Based on nothing more than a hunch, I do not see this judgment going away.

Replies to what?

First: You need an attorney.
Second: A TX judgment, with proper attention, exists indefinitely.

What else are you waiting for?
Good advice! I read VERY CAREFULLY the legal paper (link listed above). Also to answer an earlier posted question as to what I was convicted of - - the answer is Money Laundering!

quincy

Good advice! I read VERY CAREFULLY the legal paper (link listed above). Also to answer an earlier posted question as to what I was convicted of - - the answer is Money Laundering!
Did your money laundering have to do with prescription drugs?

Just Blue

What year were you convicted? What year(s) were you committing the crime? Was the money laundering for a cartel?

quincy

Is the money judgment being applied as restitution? If so, I am not sure you have much chance of challenging the judgment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is the money judgment being applied as restitution? If so, I am not sure you have much chance of challenging the judgment.
The OP got denied at the appeal level. The OP got the SC to remand it to the appeals court and they fixed whatever the issue was. I'm not sure why the OP thinks he's got a shot now.

NO! However, I just read a Supreme Court case that MIGHT be helpful to me - - - HONEYCUT - - facts are similar to mine. The question is if this can be applied retroactively!

What year were you convicted? What year(s) were you committing the crime? Was the money laundering for a cartel?
I was convicted over ten years ago. The crimes I were accused of (again I maintain innocence occurred between 2001 and 2006. I was NOT laundering for a cartel or had anything to do with cartels!

quincy

I was convicted over ten years ago. The crimes I were accused of (again I maintain innocence occurred between 2001 and 2006. I was NOT laundering for a cartel or had anything to do with cartels!
So you are questioning the facts of the case but not the underlying charge and conviction?

I am questioning the underlying charge. My conduct was legal under state law. At that time (albeit it is different today), there was no federal law addressing the issues in my case. I was convicted based on conduct which the government felt was inappropriate. My position is that if I clubbed baby seals for fun (which I don't, I love animals), but if I did . . . even if my conduct was reprehensible, if it was not illegal, I should not be labeled a criminal. The law is an "is" . . . it is not a "should be." Recently a liberal federal judge invalidated a federal law against genital mutilation. As a father of a beautiful daughter I find GM totally depraved . . . but as Federal Judge Jack Weinstein once said - - "If the devil himself came into my courtroom I would follow the letter of the law."

In my case I believe the law was perverted based on the government and the courts' moral viewpoints. In the 9th Circuit my conviction would not have stood . . .

quincy

I am questioning the underlying charge. My conduct was legal under state law. At that time (albeit it is different today), there was no federal law addressing the issues in my case. I was convicted based on conduct which the government felt was inappropriate. My position is that if I clubbed baby seals for fun (which I don't, I love animals), but if I did . . . even if my conduct was reprehensible, if it was not illegal, I should not be labeled a criminal. The law is an "is" . . . it is not a "should be." Recently a liberal federal judge invalidated a federal law against genital mutilation. As a father of a beautiful daughter I find GM totally depraved . . . but as Federal Judge Jack Weinstein once said - - "If the devil himself came into my courtroom I would follow the letter of the law."

In my case I believe the law was perverted based on the government and the courts' moral viewpoints. In the 9th Circuit my conviction would not have stood . . .
Okay. So under Texas law at the time of your charge and conviction you contend that what you were doing was not money laundering and it was not money laundering under existing federal laws at the time of your charge and conviction.

Well ... you will need to find an attorney in your area who shares your analysis and is willing to help you right the wrong. You should look for a criminal defense attorney who specializes in white collar crimes. An initial consultation should be free.

Here is a link to Honeycutt v. United States, which is the case I am assuming you were talking about earlier:
https://casetext.com/case/honeycutt-v-united-states-4

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">