• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the truth about child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Klp2408

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My ex and I have been legally divorced since October of 2012 (which was done in Virginia), however our separation began at the end of 2010. When we separated, we went transitioned to nearly 50/50 (slightly more on my end) for custody. He has always made more money than me, but not drastically more, although he has held several different jobs over the years. Our custody agreement included a minor monthly child support payment in it, despite the time being close to equal. He wasn’t thrilled with this, but in his rush to get the divorce concluded (new baby and soon to be wife pressuring him to get it done), he waived his rights to another attorney looking at it and signed it.

From day one, he hasn’t paid but a handful of payments. While he has paid for half of school supplies, and contributed to school clothes and one or two birthday parties, there have only been, and I’m being generous in this estimate, possibly several months of payments for the past several years. He was also suppose to be providing health insurance for her, which only last a few months and that had already been calculated in, but it stopped several months in when he changed jobs. The ordered support was so minimal, that the drama that would ensue wasn’t worth it, despite the fact that I really could have used it considering any medical bills (which were uninsured) came out of my pocket, as well as childcare for my time, and other expenses to care for our child. I opted to not make a stink about it. Then He had another kid with someone else, and this year, another one with another woman. The end with his second wife was a drawn out battle, and occurred in Massachusetts. He claims that according to his lawyer, because our agreement was close too 50/50, that he was tricked into the child support and he shouldn’t have to pay it. That a judge would have never aloud that to happen (we did the whole divorce out of court). For some reason he is convinced that “he shouldn’t have to pay to improve MY standard of living”, I’ve tried to explain to him on several occasions that the money would have gone directly to expenses for his child, and that it wouldn’t even cover half of them. He thought that because he payed for stuff (like food) while she was with him, that he was paying enough. This is all before I got married again and he decided to move to a different state.

I got married again six years ago, and from the beginning my husband took on the majority of my portion of daughters expenses, including health insurance. I stopped working full-time due to the fact that childcare and transportation to work would have left me with barely any actual income with when we had a baby together. Then four or five years ago, he randomly decided to move to Florida with his girlfriend at the time, leaving our child in my custody for the school year while she visited him in the summer. At this point we became responsible for all of her expenses every day except while she was in Florida. With all these changes, we never modified the agreement, mostly due to the lack of funds to do so. Even during the time in Florida, he didn’t pay anything more than what has already been mentioned. He was going through the divorce with his second wife and having trouble with keeping his job, so I was understanding of that and didn’t make a big deal about it. Especially knowing how our fighting would negatively affect our daughter who was already struggling with her dad’s move (which I should add that we didn’t know about until it had already occurred).

This past year, I finally had gotten to the point of being able to afford modifying the agreement when he decided to join the army. He ended up being stationed near us and wanted to go back to our old schedule or close to it (which our daughter also wanted). He also has gotten married again and had that third child with her. he had a possibility of being deployed or having to train for special forces in another state. He actually agreed he owes me for the years in Florida, but hasn’t paid a penny yet. Due to the fact that he has had our child on a regular basis again he thinks he shouldn’t pay me anything for this time now. He did agree to pay her lunch bill for school and followed through maybe twice before “he lost his credit card” and has supposedly been waiting for over a month to get his new one. I have repeatedly asked him to pay the bill, yet he still hasn’t because “he doesn’t have the money “ despite his ability to pay for eating out all the time and doing other things that cost money but are extracurricular. He claims his wife is paying for it and he doesn’t expect her to pay for any expenses for our daughter. While he says this, he remains convinced that my husbands expenses count towards my income, which is a low- part time one still, because I’m now attending school. With all of this and his new normal of being disrespectful to me on a constant basis, I’m at the end of my rope and have actually considered pursuing legal force for this money despite the drama. Especially since he now will be leaving at the end of the summer to go train in another state for a year+ and I know he’ll find some excuse to not pay. However, he claims he has free legal representation from the army, which makes me nervous as we can’t afford a long battle and I know he’ll draw it out if he doesn’t have to pay for it. He is still convinced that he shouldn’t actually have to pay the support and that a judge would agree. Given he is in the army, you’d think with the possible consequences (which I was told could be severe?) that he would pay up, but he still doesn’t.

He is a master manipulator, and after years of this, I question my own knowledge on these matters. My questions are: what parts of the above are actually the truth, what is he wrong in, and what are my rights in this matter? Does my spouse’s (and now his spouse) income matter in this situation? Also, how does back-support work for what he owes me according to our agreement? At this point it’s thousands of dollars, which I wouldn’t expect him to be able to pay immediately. In the case that I don’t pursue this now, can I do it after she turns 18 and is no longer living with us (for past missed payments)? I’d like to spare her direct exposure to the drama that would ensue if possible, but still feel like he should pay his portion. I’d probably just put it towards her college expenses anyway.

I know, I’m a mess, and this whole situation is a mess.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My ex and I have been legally divorced since October of 2012 (which was done in Virginia), however our separation began at the end of 2010. When we separated, we went transitioned to nearly 50/50 (slightly more on my end) for custody. He has always made more money than me, but not drastically more, although he has held several different jobs over the years. Our custody agreement included a minor monthly child support payment in it, despite the time being close to equal. He wasn’t thrilled with this, but in his rush to get the divorce concluded (new baby and soon to be wife pressuring him to get it done), he waived his rights to another attorney looking at it and signed it.

From day one, he hasn’t paid but a handful of payments. While he has paid for half of school supplies, and contributed to school clothes and one or two birthday parties, there have only been, and I’m being generous in this estimate, possibly several months of payments for the past several years. He was also suppose to be providing health insurance for her, which only last a few months and that had already been calculated in, but it stopped several months in when he changed jobs. The ordered support was so minimal, that the drama that would ensue wasn’t worth it, despite the fact that I really could have used it considering any medical bills (which were uninsured) came out of my pocket, as well as childcare for my time, and other expenses to care for our child. I opted to not make a stink about it. Then He had another kid with someone else, and this year, another one with another woman. The end with his second wife was a drawn out battle, and occurred in Massachusetts. He claims that according to his lawyer, because our agreement was close too 50/50, that he was tricked into the child support and he shouldn’t have to pay it. That a judge would have never aloud that to happen (we did the whole divorce out of court). For some reason he is convinced that “he shouldn’t have to pay to improve MY standard of living”, I’ve tried to explain to him on several occasions that the money would have gone directly to expenses for his child, and that it wouldn’t even cover half of them. He thought that because he payed for stuff (like food) while she was with him, that he was paying enough. This is all before I got married again and he decided to move to a different state.

I got married again six years ago, and from the beginning my husband took on the majority of my portion of daughters expenses, including health insurance. I stopped working full-time due to the fact that childcare and transportation to work would have left me with barely any actual income with when we had a baby together. Then four or five years ago, he randomly decided to move to Florida with his girlfriend at the time, leaving our child in my custody for the school year while she visited him in the summer. At this point we became responsible for all of her expenses every day except while she was in Florida. With all these changes, we never modified the agreement, mostly due to the lack of funds to do so. Even during the time in Florida, he didn’t pay anything more than what has already been mentioned. He was going through the divorce with his second wife and having trouble with keeping his job, so I was understanding of that and didn’t make a big deal about it. Especially knowing how our fighting would negatively affect our daughter who was already struggling with her dad’s move (which I should add that we didn’t know about until it had already occurred).

This past year, I finally had gotten to the point of being able to afford modifying the agreement when he decided to join the army. He ended up being stationed near us and wanted to go back to our old schedule or close to it (which our daughter also wanted). He also has gotten married again and had that third child with her. he had a possibility of being deployed or having to train for special forces in another state. He actually agreed he owes me for the years in Florida, but hasn’t paid a penny yet. Due to the fact that he has had our child on a regular basis again he thinks he shouldn’t pay me anything for this time now. He did agree to pay her lunch bill for school and followed through maybe twice before “he lost his credit card” and has supposedly been waiting for over a month to get his new one. I have repeatedly asked him to pay the bill, yet he still hasn’t because “he doesn’t have the money “ despite his ability to pay for eating out all the time and doing other things that cost money but are extracurricular. He claims his wife is paying for it and he doesn’t expect her to pay for any expenses for our daughter. While he says this, he remains convinced that my husbands expenses count towards my income, which is a low- part time one still, because I’m now attending school. With all of this and his new normal of being disrespectful to me on a constant basis, I’m at the end of my rope and have actually considered pursuing legal force for this money despite the drama. Especially since he now will be leaving at the end of the summer to go train in another state for a year+ and I know he’ll find some excuse to not pay. However, he claims he has free legal representation from the army, which makes me nervous as we can’t afford a long battle and I know he’ll draw it out if he doesn’t have to pay for it. He is still convinced that he shouldn’t actually have to pay the support and that a judge would agree. Given he is in the army, you’d think with the possible consequences (which I was told could be severe?) that he would pay up, but he still doesn’t.

He is a master manipulator, and after years of this, I question my own knowledge on these matters. My questions are: what parts of the above are actually the truth, what is he wrong in, and what are my rights in this matter? Does my spouse’s (and now his spouse) income matter in this situation? Also, how does back-support work for what he owes me according to our agreement? At this point it’s thousands of dollars, which I wouldn’t expect him to be able to pay immediately. In the case that I don’t pursue this now, can I do it after she turns 18 and is no longer living with us (for past missed payments)? I’d like to spare her direct exposure to the drama that would ensue if possible, but still feel like he should pay his portion. I’d probably just put it towards her college expenses anyway.

I know, I’m a mess, and this whole situation is a mess.
I'm sorry...You deleted other threads, in the past, that the volunteers of this site took the time to respond to. Most of the members here won't assist thread deleters.

LdiJ

One thing I will tell you, is that if you get an income withholding order, so that he has to pay his child support through the state, garnished from his pay, you WILL get the child support whether he likes it or not.

If he is military your child should also be getting health insurance through the military as well.

K

Klp2408

Well I thank LdiJ for their comment.

However, I’ll say I certainly was not aware of this “thread-deleter” stance of the volunteers. If it is somewhere on the site, I missed it and if it’s some unspoken rule, I’m not a frequent enough user of forums to be aware of that.

Since it’s been a while since I’ve been on this site, I’m assuming that it was the one and only other thread I recall posting on any legal type advice site. If I’m right, I deleted it because of the fact that although a very few people responded with actual help, most were unnecessary and rude comments, most likely because it was a sensitive topic. I feel I should be able to delete a thread like this and not have to have my email be bombarded by such replies, just so people will answer future questions. This is just another negative experience with this site and makes me very disappointed in it.

As for my post being to long, given it’s an advice site, you’d think all details would be important to get the full picture, but I guess not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As for my post being to long, given it’s an advice site, you’d think all details would be important to get the full picture, but I guess not.
We're volunteers. You need to learn how to distill things down to a reasonable level that includes enough details without being overly verbose.
(That's a good skill for court too)

Just Blue

Well I thank LdiJ for their comment.

However, I’ll say I certainly was not aware of this “thread-deleter” stance of the volunteers. If it is somewhere on the site, I missed it and if it’s some unspoken rule, I’m not a frequent enough user of forums to be aware of that.

Since it’s been a while since I’ve been on this site, I’m assuming that it was the one and only other thread I recall posting on any legal type advice site. If I’m right, I deleted it because of the fact that although a very few people responded with actual help, most were unnecessary and rude comments, most likely because it was a sensitive topic. I feel I should be able to delete a thread like this and not have to have my email be bombarded by such replies, just so people will answer future questions. This is just another negative experience with this site and makes me very disappointed in it.

When you delete the efforts of the volunteers you are rudely wasting their time. If you don't want e-mail notifications of responses to your thread...adjust your profile preferences.

If you were a church volunteers and went in and cleaned the Pastors home for 3 hours...and when the Pastor got home he had muddy boots and walked on the floor you just scrubbed. And then he used the bathroom and miss-aimed and left pee on the floor and side of the toilet. He then goes into his bedroom and changed clothing, leaving the dirty cloths on the floor. Has dinner and doesn't clean the mess he makes...Would you still volunteer for a person that is so rude as to undo your efforts you provided FREE OF CHARGE?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not all of us care whether you delete threads or not.

However, I have a more entertaining novel on my Kindle. I am not unwilling to help but you're going to have to condense it down; right now I'm going to TL; DR.

K

Klp2408

Not all of us care whether you delete threads or not.

However, I have a more entertaining novel on my Kindle. I am not unwilling to help but you're going to have to condense it down; right now I'm going to TL; DR.
I appreciate your willingness to help, but I honestly don’t think I could condense it without possibly leaving out details that are important.

Zigner

I appreciate your willingness to help, but I honestly don’t think I could condense it without possibly leaving out details that are important.
Then your matter is too complex for an internet forum. You should seek local legal counsel.

K

Klp2408

When you delete the efforts of the volunteers you are rudely wasting their time. If you don't want e-mail notifications of responses to your thread...adjust your profile preferences.

If you were a church volunteers and went in and cleaned the Pastors home for 3 hours...and when the Pastor got home he had muddy boots and walked on the floor you just scrubbed. And then he used the bathroom and miss-aimed and left pee on the floor and side of the toilet. He then goes into his bedroom and changed clothing, leaving the dirty cloths on the floor. Has dinner and doesn't clean the mess he makes...Would you still volunteer for a person that is so rude as to undo your efforts you provided FREE OF CHARGE?
Your point of view is only concerned with how the contributor feels about their contribution and completely ignores the posters side. You are a “pot calling the kettle black” when talking about rudeness. It was rude for me to delete a single post? You’re comments could be considered rude as well.

As for your example, its pushing it and is by no means the same level as deleting a thread, secondly, your forgot to add in an equivalent to the borderline harassment that occurred on the deleted post.

Also, you’re assuming everyone is aware of how to do all these things on this site, like turn off notifications, and that everyone is aware of this anti-thread deleter stance. If I was a frequent user with several deleted posts, I could kind of see your point, but for this to occur over one post is ridiculous. I wouldn’t care if someone deleted my advice once or twice if they were in my situation even with it being free of charge.

Also, if you don’t want to help people free of charge, since you stressed that, than why do you even bother with this site?

K

Klp2408

Then your matter is too complex for an internet forum. You should seek local legal counsel.
I’ve considered it, but my family is very financially strained, which is the whole reason I am on a free site. I also wasn’t aware that advice was only limited to easy problems.

Zigner

I’ve considered it, but my family is very financially strained, which is the whole reason I am on a free site. I also wasn’t aware that advice was only limited to easy problems.
Why do you believe that your complex situation can be handled by strangers on the internet?

K

Klp2408

Why do you believe that your complex situation can be handled by strangers on the internet?
Why do you think that just because I posted on a website asking for advice, that it means I’d never get legal representation if necessary? I wasn’t expecting strangers on the internet to be my legal representation. The advice from the internet is pretty quick compared to getting a lawyer, so what exactly was the harm of asking before doing so? This is an ADVICE forum correct? I’m not taking what’s said as the same level any legal representation. However, attempting to figure out if I actually have any grounds to stand on before wasting money, just to hear otherwise when we’re already strained, didn’t seem like a bad move and I shouldn’t be faulted for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">