• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is worse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfnbo01

What is the name of your state?indiana

I've been reading different opions on this, if the debt was charged off over 3 years and is in collections does it effect your credit rating less then if you would start paying on now. I've heard once you contact the collections it marks it as current and brings your rating down even lower.

Debt Guy

Personally, I think the more important issue is whether or not you want to get from under the Sword of Damocles that hangs over your head. You live in a state with a long statute of limitations. Do you want to be sued and then be forced to deal with a judgment creditor?

As to your specific question -- I've heard both ways. Call Fair Isaac and ask. I know that paying a charge off does not improve your score. I can't see how it would make your score worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">