• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is yhe possible pentatly fro driving while a license/registration is suspended in NJ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Earlylight

I live in NJ and was stopped while at a red light for driving while license and registration were suspended. I learned today that my payment for the registration did not clear when I thought it did. I went online to pay for it sometime back in August of last year, but really I paid the restoration fee for the license and the reg and didnt realize the actual payment I owed for the reg was not paid. So while thinking I was restored, I wasnt. I owe no tickets and was never stopped for any other violation. Because the restoration fees were paid (I have the reciept) will this help me in court at all? I'm a single mom and scared to death of jail time and cannot afford paying a high fine. I receieved two tickets one for the license and one for the registration.

adjusterjack

I don't think you have to worry about jail.

I suggest you have somebody drive you to the DMV, pay whatever it takes to get your licensed and registration updated, then go to court and explain what happened.

PayrollHRGuy

You are looking at several hundred dollars in fines.

What law does the ticket say you violated. Look for numbers like 39:3-29

sandra39342

First Offense: Fine of $500, plus an extension to the period of suspension that cannot exceed six months.
Second Offense: Fine of $750, plus possible imprisonment in the county jail for no more than five days. The court may also extend your license suspension by up to six months.
Third Offense: Fine of $1,000, along with 10 days in county jail. As with the first and second offense, the court may impose or extend a period of suspension of your license for up to six months.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
sandra - I reported your use of a commercial link as it's against the TOS for this site. We prefer that you cite actual law. Furthermore, you really should wait to find out what the OP was actually charged with, as the information you post may not be relevant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First Offense: Fine of $500, plus an extension to the period of suspension that cannot exceed six months.
Second Offense: Fine of $750, plus possible imprisonment in the county jail for no more than five days. The court may also extend your license suspension by up to six months.
Third Offense: Fine of $1,000, along with 10 days in county jail. As with the first and second offense, the court may impose or extend a period of suspension of your license for up to six months.
Please note that this was taken from an attorney's website, whose information has been removed by admin. The information may or may not apply to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">