• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What kind of harassment is this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddale129

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts

My Office manager is always swearing at me using vulgar words. Last Friday she took me into a room and proceeded to tell me she did like the way I breath.I have a lung problem and I gasp for air when certain smells (perfume)are over whelming. Then she said my hands don't move fast enough and that I don't walk fast enough. Again I have a breathing problem and I cannot run or over exert my lungs. She has been with the company a year but only became our manager in MArch. What can I do to protect my job? :confused:

Beth3

It's probably because your manager is an insensitive lout but it's possible ADA protections may apply here if your lung problem is sufficiently severe.

I suggest you contact human resources or, if you don't have an HR department, the appropriate person in senior management and tell them you have a disability and that your manager is harassing you because of it. If fragrances cause you to have attacks of asthma or whatever, you should inform management of that and ask that they make a "reasonable accommodation" by requesting other employees to refrain from wearing perfumes or scented body products to work.

ddale129

what kind of harassment is this

When I was hired the management was informed that I had lung surgery. As I had to disclose this infomation to get insurance thru the company. I have asked the manager to speak the the person about the perfume and was told she would. But to date nothing has been done about it, And I continue to cough and gasp for air. I use a inhaler and it helps me some and the manager watches as I use it. But its like it doesn't matter. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">