• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What more can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live with my fiance and his elderly grandmother. Recently I was attacked by my fiances brother. He entered the house to visit his grandmother and proceeded to pour himself a drink of Rum. Since he is 18 years of age, I asked him to put it away. An argument arose and eventually, he got mad enough to choke me. Once I passed out, I am told that he continued to choke to me until my sister found the strength to pull him off of me. I have suffered minor neck injuries and of course, there is some emotional damage. I have since filed a police report, pressed charges, and obtained a personal protection order. However, I was informed that, even though there is a warrant out for his arresnt, the police will not try pick him up unless they catch him for something else. Also, the personal protection order will not stop him from entering the house in which I live b/c it is not my own. The PPO will only stop him from talking to me directly or touching me. Since this incident I have had the pleasure of strangers banging on my back door screaming obscenities in the middle of night dressed in red and black (His gang colors). However, I was told by the lawyer for the city that reviewed my plea for a personal protection order, that they weren't really after me, they were after Grandma since it was her house and that there is nothing I can do. The attack happened two weeks ago and the police still have not served him with the personal protection order. I need to know if there is something more that I can do. I feel very helpless at the moment. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.



Bottom line, if the house is owned by the grandmother or whoever the court sees you as a guest in someone else's home, and will not go out of their way to put restraining orders on people that are associated with the occupants of that house you live in... that's just silly - this guy deserves to go to jail definitely - unfortunately there's lots of warrants that remain unserved, but maybe running his picture through the paper/flyers or reward or a bounty hunter will help :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential