• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? california. I have filed all of my paperwork for a legal seperation, custody, alimony and so forth. We have a court date in 2 weeks. He has not responded to the papers I served him with. What happens next? Do I go to my court date or will it be post poned? Also, what if we want to work things out before or after my court date. how does that work?What is the name of your state?

garrula lingua

Senior Member
Did you have someone hand the paperwork to him ?

Did they fill out a 'Proof Of Personal Service' form - you have to have that completed form in court in order for the Judge to hear the case (you should go down & file the original with the original copy of the Summons at court ASAP).

He may show up at court. You would then be sent to mediation re custody issues.

Have all your paperwork the Court will need to make support orders on your behalf (your completed Income and Expense Dec [all 4 pages], copies of last 3 paycheck stubs, last two years income tax returns.)
Bring copies of all paperwork - the Court will keep one copy & you have to give yoyo a copy if he shows up, & you need one for yourself.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential