• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What recourse does Verizon have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcusman

I recently registered the domain name http://bellatlanticpathetic.com/ and turned it into a site which focuses on every negative aspect possible regarding their (now Verizon's) operation. If you would take a look at the site, these are the things I need to know:

1. Is the registration of the name as I have done, breaking any internet law?

2. Could they sue me for libel? As far as I could tell, nothing there was false. In fact if anything, it's all documented.

3. Could they sue me for any legitimate reason?

Thanks,

Marcus (Massachusetts)

ALawyer

1. Is the registration of the name as I have done, breaking any internet law?

There is a lot more that any lawyer would have to know to express an opinion, but it's probably not a criminal violation. The issue is the impact on their trademark.

2. Could they sue me for libel? As far as I could tell, nothing there was false. In fact if anything, it's all documented.

Probably the suit would be thrown out as calling them pathetic is not defamatory as such. BUT they might seek to hld you liable for defamatory postings on the site.

3. Could they sue me for any legitimate reason?

Yes, abuse of their trademark. But they probably would demand that you surrender the name first.

The law is developing in the area, but it may be protected free speech and/or parody.

marcusman

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, as it was EXTREMELY helpful.

Just a few more things. Could I protect myself against them holding me responsible for the postings if I simply post a legal note at the bottom of the pages saying something like "these postings do not reflect the feelings of bellatlanticpathetic.com etc., etc.?

Secondly, if I should decide to file a class action lawsuit against them as a result of their questionable practices, what would be the steps? For example, do I have to retain a lawyer and pay the fees, or is he/she paid by all those involved in the suit? Or is the lawyer compensated only if the suit is successful?

Thanks again,

Marcus

[Edited by marcusman on 12-05-2000 at 06:05 PM]

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

There is new federal legislation regarding domain names. In my opinion, you're OK with the name.

For the remainder of your questions, they call for responses that are well beyond this service. I haven't looked at the site. But, I must add, to review a website and counsel about libel, etc., and the other things you ask, I would first have to be retained.

I don't mean to hold back on you but the information and advice you seek constitutes legal advice beyond what (I think) is contemplated by this service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">