• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What right so I have....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DSD454

I have been living in a mother daughter home for 10 years now (renting). After my dad passed away, I gave up the apartment downstairs and moved upstairs with my mom to save money. My landlord rented the apartment to a couple. They have been living there since Feb '00, and were never told to get their own mailbox, over the last month on several occasions our newspaper has been missing, the first time my brother found it in their garbage. Do I have the right to contact my landlord and tell him to tell the downstairs tenants that they are no longer allowed to use my mailbox that I purchased 10 years ago.

I know this comes off as being a silly question, but we do not get along with the people that live downstairs, and I recently spoke to a Police officer about my rights as a tenant, regarding other issues we have had with them and he said I have zero rights to confront the people that live downstairs, that I would need to contact my landlord, which I have done in the past and he said he wanted nothing to do with it, that if it got worse to contact the police.

Can someone please tell me what rights I have on the mail situation.

Thank you very much!!!

ALawyer

As a tenant for 10 years I am sure you have a good relationship with the landlord.

If you ask nicely, s/he'd likely try to interecede in your behalf. (They'd be more concerned about getting on his/her bad side than yours.)

I hate to say it but bad neighbors can make life unpleasant -- one approach would be to ask the landlord to buy a new mailbox (or you buy it for the landlord) and put it up so with your name and the other tenant's name -- it is a lot cheaper than a lawyer!

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Interfering with a person's mail is a federal offense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">