• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do I have with a cosigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Asereht

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
If I have a co-signer for renting an apartment, is it necessary for the prospective apartment management to seek consent from the previous apartment management before granting the lease. A past notice eviction in 2001 was dismissed since I paid the balance due. I am currently homeless due to a sheriff lock-out since I had not received child support in three months and, while I paid the rent, the management tacked on legal and late fees to an amount that I could not pay. The prospective apartment management is refusing to grant the lease until they contact the previous apartmant management for the previous management to give "permission" to the prospective management to rent the apartment to me. My co-signer agreed to co-sign because the prospective apartment management told me that a cosigner would bypass the contacting of the previous management. Now they are changing their story and are holding up the process until they contact the precious management. What recourse do I have?

longneck

have you tried checking for any state programs to people in your situation with rent?

as for the contacting the previous management company, the current company is under no obligation to allow you back in to your apartment once they have evicted you. sounds like they're giving you excuses just to avoid rerenting to you, instead of just telling you they don't want you back.

Asereht

Not evicted. Sheriff lock-out. Not the same apartment complex. The LL who has my application says he has to contact previous LL. The LL with the application told me if I got a cosigner he wouldn't have to contact previous LL. Now he says he has to even though cosigner was obtained.

longneck

oooohhhh! i see now. when you said "previous management", i assumed you meant that the LL switched management companies. i see now that you are saying you are trying to get in to a new apartment, and they want to check your references.

unfortunately, you're still out of luck. nothing dictates who a LL will rent to, and what steps or check they will follow. if they still want a reference even after you supplied a cosigner, that is within their rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">